PDA

View Full Version : J9s from BB misplayed

sluttysteve
10-07-2004, 07:48 PM
First orbit at table, no reads. Questionable actions include check-calling the flop and the check-raise attempt on the river. Bleh.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

River: (7.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Piiop
10-07-2004, 08:09 PM
I would bet out on the flop here. You have an OESD and BD flush draw.

On the river, I think the check-raise is fine since you'll hopefully be trapping MP3. It's too bad MP1 wussed out, but he really didn't have a lot to worry about since no one had shown any aggression and it was only a BD flush that came in.

jn110
10-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Why is betting the flop better than check-calling in this spot? Chances of winning immediately are nearly nil in this 5-way pot. With no pre-flop raise you don't know where the aggression (if any) will come from, and you want players in with this draw (unless one has AJ).

TRWIII
10-07-2004, 08:55 PM
You bet the flop here because it is for value. With at the very least 8 outs along with a backdoor flush and a six discounted outs to a possible pair winner, your pot equity is plenty high enough to justify jamming this five handed flop.

And I like the checkraise attempt on the river, too bad it didnt work out.

TRWIII

TRWIII

SoaringAngle
10-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I would definitely raise the flop here with a strong draw and a backdoor. Once I made the backdoor flush I would probably bet it, but I might also try to check-raise MP1 as you did. Again, bet the flop.

But im just a "stupid noob"

TheLance
10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
To me (a novice), I see not betting on the turn as the biggest error. This is when your outs nearly double, and presents an opportunity to get money in the pot while your opponents are still drawing-hopeful. A large pot would encourage them to call again on the river.

(especially since no one raised pre-flop, and you can figure no one will raise, making 2 bets to the others)

comments please?

sluttysteve
10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
My pot equity on the turn is not nearly strong enough to warrant a bet. I think.

TheLance
10-07-2004, 09:50 PM
consider this...
9 outs to the flush, another 6 to a likely unmatched straight
Not including Jacks or nines, you have 15 outs to the near-nuts
(only an unlikely Full House beats you)
with 45 cards left, you are precisely a 2 to 1 underdog, with 4 players on the turn.

I still say bet the turn.