PDA

View Full Version : AQs against fish raising UTG

ode
10-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.25 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by UTG (8.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has 3h 3s (one pair, threes).
Hero has Qd Ad (high card, ace).
Outcome: UTG wins 8.25 BB. </font>

Did I misplay this?

I wanted to get heads up with the fish, I've seen him raising ATo, 92s, KQo, TT, KJo etc. and cold calling preflop with 72o and other great hands like that.

IMHO I can justify my flop and turn bets, (or can I? should I just take the free card on turn?) but I don't know if I should've bet the river. I felt that he would call with any pair... and also AK, AQ, AJ.

/ode

lil'
10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
On the turn, you can sometimes check and take the free card. The risk is that if you are winning, you give him a free shot to catch up. You will often be bet into on the river as a value bet or as a bluff.

A bet on the turn can make him fold sometimes. A lot of fish like to peel one off then give up if the turn is a brick.

If I know my opponent can make terrible flop calls, I don't mind betting the turn. You also have many outs even if you are wrong.

Betting the river is pointless. Take the free showdown. Against this type of player, you have no chance of getting a better hand to fold.

J.R.
10-07-2004, 06:13 PM
This is good stuff. Does he get to and call the river with no pair? I suspect not, and he isn't folding a pair having gotten to the river.

Re: the turn. Did you think he could call the flop with no pair? What was the risk of a turn check-raise? Either way, I suspect the answers were yes and low, so the turn bet is good. And its not horrible if you got check-raised because of all the outs you have (flush, K, maybe A and Q).

sublime
10-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Given your read of your opponent I like the way you played this hand.

He doesnt seem like the type that will fold a better hand on the river (I am starting to wonder if this type even exists on-line) but will surely call with a better one.

Alobar
10-07-2004, 06:42 PM
yeah, what everyone else has said. you played it well

ode
10-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Ok. Thank you for confiming. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ode