PDA

View Full Version : What did my opponent have?

Lost_Dogs
10-07-2004, 05:25 PM
At the 1-3 game at excalibur, this is another hand that hurt me. I was thinking about it for over an hour after it ended. I'd like to hear your ideas of what this player had. Keep in mind that my two opponents sat at the table about 5 minutes before this hand, so I had no clue what types of players they were. (there was no flush potential, so I won't include suits for the board cards)

I had AJ suited and raised $3 pre-flop. The guy to my left called, and the small blind called as well. Flop was AJ4. SB checked, I raised $3, both guy to my left raised $3 more, SB and I both called.

Turn was an 8. SB called, I raised, other guy re-raised, we both called.

River was a 10, followed by the same betting pattern (check, $3 raise, $3 re-raise, call, call).

I showed two pair (Aces, Jacks). The raiser to my left showed two pair (Jacks, 8's). What would be reasonable for the small blind show?

sluttysteve
10-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I'm guessing from the fact that you lost that he had a poorly played 44?

sfer
10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
If he just check/called the whole way A-rag seems like the obvious guess.

MoreWineII
10-07-2004, 05:30 PM
By the tone of this post, I'm guessing KQ.

junkmail3
10-07-2004, 05:31 PM
You should reraise the flop if you're going to bet the turn.

He could have, KQ, 44, JJ, TT, 88, 84, T4, AK, AQ, AJ, AT, A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A4, A3, A2, A1 ... wait, KJ, KT, K9, K8, well, I don't want to type out the possibilities anymore.

Lost_Dogs
10-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Turns out the guy had 97 offsuit. The guy directly to my left, who was friends with the winner, turned to me in genuine disbelief and asked "why was he even in this hand?" I wanted to throw my chips at him, but what could you do? That was my first bad loss, and it left a bad taste in my mouth losing a huge pot (for a 1-3 game) to someone who was just insanely lucky. Is there any rational reason for him to stay in pre-flop, or even after the flop?

Malcom Reynolds
10-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Obviously he didn't play it correctly. He probably should have folded on every street except the river.

But bad beats happen all the time. In the long run, you will make tons of money from this guy. Throwing chips at him will only make him take his money away... so when he shows 97o, smile, and be happy you are so lucky he is at your table, say "nice hand" and move on.