PDA

View Full Version : Why do you watch the debates?

Clarkmeister
10-07-2004, 04:08 PM
What I really mean is, why do you watch the debates if you have already decided who you will vote for. There's got to be more entertaining stuff to do, and if you know who you will be voting for no matter what, you are basically watching for entertainment value only. Or is there another reason? I guess one couldn't argue about the debates without watching it, so there could be some follow-up "entertainment". Anything else?

Toro
10-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I watched because I was totally disgusted with the campaign Kerry was running. I desparately want him to beat Bush because I think Bush is a total disaster but if he couldn't at least beat Bush in that debate I wasn't going to vote for him.

In fact, that's what I told my wife just before the debate started, "that if Kerry doesn't beat Bush in this debate I'm voting for Bush". As irrational as that sounds, that's what I was prepared to do. So for me, the debate did matter.

obi---one
10-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Keep Score

Non_Comformist
10-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Honestly, so I am able to discuss it here and with friends and family.

Victor
10-07-2004, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess one couldn't argue about the debates without watching it

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo!

MaxPower
10-07-2004, 04:31 PM
Mostly entertainment. I'm hoping Bush has a complete meltdown and just curls up in a fetal position repeating "Its hard work" over and over. That would be entertaining.

Dynasty
10-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Politics have definitely become a form of entertainment for me.

caretaker1
10-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I don't, watching is a lot of hard work.

Sorry I couldn't help it.

wacki
10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
It's not entertainment for me. I hate it. I hate politics, and I can't stand two faced people, bureaucracy, or word games. In fact, I can't stand it so much I picked a career that would allow me to sidestep dealing with all the BS.

But this year I am going to vote and I feel I have an obligation to learn everything I can about both candidates. I strongly feel, if I am going to vote, then I have to be political savy. Anything less would be complete recklessness.

What sucks, as much as I hate it, it is very addictive.

tolbiny
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
there's not much chance of that... Bush has somehow managed to get in more vacation time than anyother president- even with all the hard work going on.

GWB
10-07-2004, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's not much chance of that... Bush has somehow managed to get in more vacation time than anyother president- even with all the hard work going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

A much better plan than obsessing over every detail like Carter did. My subordinates sweat the details, I only need to make the big decisions, something better done when not under undue stress.

wacki
10-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Funny, the worst president of all time took the least amount of vacation. Reagan took is in 2nd place for the most vacation.
Ronald Reagan spent 335 days at or en route to his Santa Barbara, California, ranch during his eight years in office.

Maybe we would be better off without a president? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wacki
10-07-2004, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A much better plan than obsessing over every detail like Carter did. My subordinates sweat the details, I only need to make the big decisions, something better done when not under undue stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

A decent enough point.

The only thing I a curoius about is: are the working vacations really working vacations or are they vacations? If so, where is the proof. It doesn't matter if he spent time in camp david. There are tons of pics of Bush with Blair and other people at camp david. That is still work. How much actual vacation time was taken?

Toro
10-07-2004, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A decent enough point.

The only thing I a curoius about is: are the working vacations really working vacations or are they vacations? If so, where is the proof. It doesn't matter if he spent time in camp david. There are tons of pics of Bush with Blair and other people at camp david. That is still work. How much actual vacation time was taken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact the GAO. They should be able to provide that information for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

vulturesrow
10-07-2004, 10:35 PM
I would add to that, do people really think Bush (or any other President for that matter) is incapable of executing the duties of the presidency from anywhere in America? Given the state of technology in this day and age, I would say it is a very easy task. Telecommuting, it works for the President too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matty
10-07-2004, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's got to be more entertaining stuff to do

[/ QUOTE ]More entertaining than watching Bush self-destruct live? I don't think so.

For me, there isn't anything more entertaining than politics. I'd rather watch a presidential debate than the super-bowl (although it would be close).

But if the Prez debates were as evenly-matched and boring as the VP debate was, I'd probably stick to reading the transcripts in the morning.

wacki
10-07-2004, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would add to that, do people really think Bush (or any other President for that matter) is incapable of executing the duties of the presidency from anywhere in America? Given the state of technology in this day and age, I would say it is a very easy task. Telecommuting, it works for the President too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Almost all of the work I do involves using supercomputers, and clusters. Other than environment, there is very little difference between me working at the beach, on a boat, at home, or in the lab. I love technology.

I can't tell you how many meetings we've had using a 70" computer monitor and high def webcam to talk to other people.

wacki
10-07-2004, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather watch a presidential debate than the super-bowl (although it would be close).

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought I was different. Even if you don't like football, the commercials.... priceless. An excuse for 30 guys to get together and get drunk while the sun is still up, even better!

andyfox
10-08-2004, 12:16 AM
Comedy relief from the pressures of meedlessly worrying about the Yankees.

Clarkmeister
10-08-2004, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Comedy relief from the pressures of needlessly worrying about the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played.