PDA

View Full Version : Network Question

lacky
10-07-2004, 03:56 PM
I am thinking about getting dsl and cable so I can switch when one goes down. Does anyone make an automatic switch that will pick whichever one is working best at the time, or switch if one goes down?

Steve

mistrpug
10-07-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking about getting dsl and cable so I can switch when one goes down. Does anyone make an automatic switch that will pick whichever one is working best at the time, or switch if one goes down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have an answer, but are the high speed services in your area really that bad that you would get both just in case one goes down? Isn't that a little extreme?

lacky
10-07-2004, 04:19 PM
I wouild say I average 3-5 hours down time a month. At $50+ per hour win rate it's silly not to spend $30 a month for an alternate source. If I can auto switch, one saved pot a year would pay for it. But I agree, if this was a hobby it would be silly.

moondogg
10-07-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouild say I average 3-5 hours down time a month. At $50+ per hour win rate it's silly not to spend $30 a month for an alternate source. If I can auto switch, one saved pot a year would pay for it. But I agree, if this was a hobby it would be silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you using now?

At 3-5 hours/month, I would say to just dump your current provider and go with the alternate source exclusively. That ain't reliable service. With Verizon, I had a 3 minute downtime a few months ago (when lightning struck the house), but it has pretty much been flawless the rest of the year. I lose power more often then I lose DSL (and losing power is just as bad).

PhilTheThrill14
10-07-2004, 04:39 PM
I've worked it through and really the best solution is to just unplug the bad connection and plug the alternative connection into your Cable \DSL router (or PC, although a router is by far the best way to go). At that point, a reboot of your router might be needed, but that should do the trick. There is no real auto-switching capabilities that would be useful (some hardware does exist, but not practical) - and who knows how the apps (Party's software for example) themselves would react. As a matter of fact, there could be measures inside the poker software that base things on IP and might lock you out of the table. Not sure really.

lacky
10-07-2004, 11:29 PM
thanks, thats what I figured too. It would be great if there was a good system though to save the ocational pot when it goes down in the middle of a great hand. This is a no maore that 2 to 4 times a year occurence, but they do add up.

aces961
10-07-2004, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

If you only have 1 computer you could just install a second network card on it, and have both connections hooked up to the computer at once. If you have more than one computer you want to have access to the internet you probably don't want to take this route since you'll need to get a second network card for each computer and a second router.

Richard Berg
10-07-2004, 11:39 PM
No, I agree with the original post that it's best to do it at the router. Edimax makes 2-WAN and 4-WAN home routers that start at around $160.

lacky
10-07-2004, 11:42 PM
That got me thinking. Could you set up a second wireless router on the same frequence etc. Would the wireless card seekout whichever connection was working?

lacky
10-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Sorry you lost me there, what is a wan? Pretend your talking to a dork instead of a nerd

Soleo
10-08-2004, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and who knows how the apps (Party's software for example) themselves would react. As a matter of fact, there could be measures inside the poker software that base things on IP and might lock you out of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be rational from their side even for just technical reasons. I did reconnect to tournament table through another ISP after losing connection closing the table first but never tried same on the fly.

BradleyT
10-08-2004, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouild say I average 3-5 hours down time a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use that downtime to call your mom. She misses you.

lacky
10-08-2004, 02:47 AM
tried that, she said it was 3am and got pissed, u just can't win

Blarg
10-08-2004, 03:39 AM
You could also just get dial-up for $20 a month for your emergency downtimes.

I'm still 4-tabling on a 44k modem LOL.

WAN stands for Wide Area Network. LAN is Local Area Network.

I don't know about this stuff, but the way I think it goes is, you could have a LAN on one floor of your building, and a WAN connecting your LANs in other buildings, that kinda thing. I think WiFi networks are referred to as WANs too, but I'm way, way out of my depth on this stuff.

Jim Kuhn
10-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Get free back up from Juno.com It is slow dialup but is ok for emergencies. You can utilize up to ten hours per month for free.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4U
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

dogmeat
10-08-2004, 12:04 PM
I use Cox digital, but they go down a couple times a month for a few hours each time. I've got AT&T dial-up as my backup which costs $16 a month. When Cox goes down I just dial AT&T.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ir1337
10-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes, your connection may default to the better signal depending on how you set it up. It's not difficult, and it would be nice for failover - but if the internet connection goes down, you would have to take down the router on that side. You CAN buy multiple WAN (Wide area network - in this case, the internet connecitons (DSL/Cable)) routers that auto failover. If you want to look at that route, it's quite a nice setup.

And, yay me. First post. Something that I actually KNOW. =)

lacky
10-09-2004, 03:36 AM
that sounds like exactly what I was wanting. Any specific recomandations?

lacky
10-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey Richard,

I figured out what a WAN is!! The Edimax looks perfect, I need to get with the tech people at the sites I play and see what instantly swiching IP's will do to their software though. So, basicaly I need to get through to someone intellegent at Party. That could be the biggest challange.

Steve

ir1337
10-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Someone earlier tossed out some in the 150 range...the ones I have used are in network operations center devices...Cisco, Nortel, BayNet...I will look around for a decently priced one and toss a couple here.

ir1337
10-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Ebay items 5724597606 Dual WAN with wireless G from Hawking. I have NEVER used Hawking equipment, and know little about it, but - it's inexpensive at this moment. Maybe TOO inexpensive.

5724323298 - Nexland. Owned by Symantec... Dual WAN, and the features are pretty decent. A decent brand. Probably not a bad deal.

lacky
10-09-2004, 08:00 PM
thanks, I will hunt those up after I get with party and find out if an instant IP switch will freak out their software.

ir1337
10-09-2004, 08:28 PM
i can tell you that you will get bounced for ip swapping

lacky
10-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Well, that would defeat the whole setup then. If I have to relog in I might as well do the physical swap at the back of the router I have now.