PDA

View Full Version : Empire connection quandary.

TRWIII
10-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I hope someone out there has an answer to this. I just recently moved off to college and am living on campus, thus my internet connection is through a T1/LAN which I like except for one thing: I cant connect to any online poker site (Empire is my main one, but starts and paradise are no gos too). The only other thing that this internet wont work with apparently is P2P networking programs, but thats unimportant.

From what I gather, the poker sites are using IP ports that this network doesnt like. Anyone out there have any idea as to how I can get through this restriction (poker is a revenue stream that I really dont want to be without). Any help is appreciated

TRWIII

mmbt0ne
10-07-2004, 03:36 PM
From what I've gathered all poker software runs on the same port, not sure which one because I don't have a port scanning program. This is why you can't have both Paradise and Empire running at the same time. The school probably blocked all traffic into/out of that port for some reason or another. If you can figure out which port it is, you can probably ask the network people (our's is the OIT: Office of Information Technology) why they blocked that specific port and hope for the best. I don't see any reason they could justify blocking the port if it's simply for online poker, so there's probably some other reason behind it.

moondogg
10-07-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is why you can't have both Paradise and Empire running at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hogwash. When I get the sudden urge to play a MTT and start looking around for one which will start soon, I have had Party, Empire, Paradise, and Stars all open and connected at the same time.

Adde
10-07-2004, 05:17 PM
From what I've gathered all poker software runs on the same port...

This has to be wrong. No need for online poker to share a port number.

Adde

TRWIII
10-07-2004, 08:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing... the firewall must disallow all the ports not needed for standard internet operations (everything over port 99). That would explain the P2P software not working either, but websurfing and email does.

Ill try and get an explanation from the tech people tomorrow.

TRWIII

mmbt0ne
10-08-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why you can't have both Paradise and Empire running at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hogwash. When I get the sudden urge to play a MTT and start looking around for one which will start soon, I have had Party, Empire, Paradise, and Stars all open and connected at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, time to figure out my own connection problem then I guess. Sorry guys.