PDA

View Full Version : Overcalls are still difficult.

Entity
10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
The table is loose postflop and semi-aggressive. On the river they seem to slow down, recognizing there is little hope for their hands to improve on 6th street. That being said, I've still seen people called down with Q high.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB folds.

Flop: (5 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB

zram21
10-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Looks good to me. With the 4 straight hitting on the board and UTG waking up there is no garauntee that the button or SB are going to call without a 4 or 9 anyway.

Any hand they would call one more bet for here they would likely call two with. The UTG bet looks just as scary as your raise. So it's better to raise and get the extra bet out of UTG than just call and watch both players fold.

If just one player folds (which seems very likely) then the amount of bets you win is the same anyway.

Akimka
10-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Hmm.. is there something to discuss? You got maximum profit from your str8. You can't check-raise. I fully support river raise - chances that you are against lower srt8 is high.

Meraxes
10-07-2004, 04:44 PM
If your opponents are that bad, this is probably a good place to go for the overcalls.

zram21
10-07-2004, 04:44 PM
He is asking if going for over calls on the river is the better play. If both the button and sb would have called one more bet, but not two then he didn't get maximum value. He missed 1 BB.

However I think the river raise was correct because I think it is highly unlikely both the button and SB would have called.

Sent
10-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah I think you want to overcall here because it looks like you will be splitting the pot anyway, you dont want to raise and up the rake or anything like that, and if they both call behind for whatever reason you gain another BB

-Sent

Entity
10-07-2004, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think you want to overcall here because it looks like you will be splitting the pot anyway, you dont want to raise and up the rake or anything like that, and if they both call behind for whatever reason you gain another BB

-Sent

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you look at my hand?

I won't be splitting the pot. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

CWsports
10-07-2004, 05:49 PM
I raise the river as well. I don't see anyone calling a single bet without a straight. If you raise, those that have a straight will most likely still call 2 bets.

Sent
10-07-2004, 06:02 PM
oh wait nvm, thought it was one card to the straight, not two lol

-Sent

wabe
10-07-2004, 06:30 PM
A raise could mean that you're trying to bluff them off the pot as well, depending on your table image, which causes them to call. The raise is g00t.

busguy
10-07-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm starting to see where VP$IP &gt; 20 comes from.

Good raise on the river.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif busguy

Oh, and there is no guarantee that you are not splitting even without a re-raise on the river from UTG. If he had 9 10 as well, would you have played it much differently (river aside) than he did (assuming that he is a typical Party .5/$1 player) ??

phixxx
10-07-2004, 06:51 PM
A turn checkraise is in order.

Entity
10-07-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to see where VP$IP &gt; 20 comes from.

Good raise on the river.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif busguy

Oh, and there is no guarantee that you are not splitting even without a re-raise on the river from UTG. If he had 9 10 as well, would you have played it much differently (river aside) than he did (assuming that he is a typical Party .5/$1 player) ??

[/ QUOTE ]
My VPIP goes way up (all the way to 23) when I'm playing 6-handed; doesn't yours? The funny thing is, we were playing 6-handed, and most pots ended up being contested 5-handed or 6-handed, which makes T9s pretty decent (though my position wasn't great). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

...and yeah, I know that I don't have a lock on this, but I could say at the time I was 99.9999% sure no one else had T9.

Rob

Entity
10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A turn checkraise is in order.

[/ QUOTE ]
Without any reason to believe that anyone else is betting this, I went for the sure thing.

Rob

busguy
10-07-2004, 07:29 PM
My bad

I completely missed the shorthanded aspect.

9 10 suited works for me in that case

/images/graemlins/blush.gif busguy

Bez
10-07-2004, 07:36 PM
I like everything about this hand. Presuming UTG will most likely call your raise, both other opponents have to call to make going for overcalls worthwhile, so the raise is good. Also, if UTG gets a rush of blood with a solitary 9 he may re-raise. Winwin!

detruncate
10-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Without your second card coming into play, I'd probably go after overcalls. As it is, you have to raise. You'll often be 3-bet, which makes up for any bets you might lose by chasing out people who would have called 1 bet.

If it was a probable split, your river profit would be coming from the extra callers. In your case, it's all good.

Nice hand.

detruncate
10-07-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm quite a bit lower than 20% and still limp T9s in early position at a loose/passive, 10-handed table.

flexus
10-07-2004, 10:08 PM
I think it is silly to risk having the turn checked through. Party fish typically like to call. Without a bet they can't /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Bet and hope someone raises your ass.

Chris Daddy Cool
02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
hi you should probably fold this preflop. you have over 6k posts and you're still playing .50/1.00, its pretty obvious you're not that good in this game, and i dont' think you can play T9s profitably in MP in a semi-aggressive table after just one limper.