PDA

View Full Version : Small Blind at Level 1 (10/15 blinds)

luvrhino
10-07-2004, 01:36 PM
At Level 1 on EmpirePoker/Party Poker SnGs from Small Blind, i'll call with anything in an unraised pot figuring it only costs an additional 5 chips. I figure that 72o is even good enough for 5 chips.

It's not a critical decision, but what do you people think and why?

rachelwxm
10-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I actually start to fold such trash because in order to continue on flop you need to hit at least 2pair or trips and that's probably 3.4% and that gives the break even profit when you hit to be 140 at level 1. There are still great chance that even you hit one of those, you might lose.
JMHO

spacemonkey57
10-07-2004, 01:51 PM
I play tighter than normal from the SB at Party because of the small amount of starting chips.

lucas9000
10-07-2004, 02:09 PM
if it gets back to you unraised at the 10/15 level there's usually at least 2 limpers, if not more, on party. so i think you'd be crazy not to throw the extra 5 chips in and see what happens. you can easily check and fold if the flop doesn't hit you huge.

assuming two limpers, there's already 55 chips in the pot. so, you're getting 11:1 on your 5 that you put in. add to that the implieds of getting paid off when your 72 flops two pair /images/graemlins/wink.gif , and i think you put the 5 in no matter what. if the bb raises, you can easily fold without any regrets.

chill888
10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At Level 1 on EmpirePoker/Party Poker SnGs from Small Blind, i'll call with anything in an unraised pot figuring it only costs an additional 5 chips. I figure that 72o is even good enough for 5 chips.

It's not a critical decision, but what do you people think and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I must say i fold a lot in this position and have started calling a little bit more because I think I am too tight. BUT: you need to be a good post flop player because playing any two on the cheap can get you into all sorts of problems. You often need a monster flop and even then. Add bad position and there are lots of potential headaches.

Let's say you limp with Q6o and flop comes QQK? Now assume someone bets and another person raises?. Sure, I'd probably push too but you lose to:

1. Any other Q (outkicked)
2. Any King that finds a 3rd K.
3. All sorts of straight risk, etc.

Now. I'm being negative - but I am assuming a great flop.

My point is that you must be very careful because often you are playing without a kicker or with tiny underpairs, etc. And you DON'T have position.

I like folding because it avoids headaches ... but as I mentioned, I think this is a small leak in my game and I am completing a fair bit more.

gl

Unarmed
10-07-2004, 02:43 PM
I complete with any form of drawing hand, raise big hands of course, and fold everything else, including weak Kings and certainly any Q that lacks drawing potential.

nuclear500
10-07-2004, 02:56 PM
My question is why do sites violate sb/bb "rules" and the BB is not 2x the SB?

schwza
10-07-2004, 02:58 PM
any time i see someone not complete the SB at 10/15 i make a note that they're probably tight.

personally, i complete any 2.

luvrhino
10-07-2004, 03:13 PM
I usually play Limit, so i can just Check/Call at this point. Assuming no one else raises (which is a big assumption), then my voluntary input is 5 + 30 (2 small bets) + 30 + 30 = 95. I can afford to lose that for the chance at getting that pot.

If i was playing NL, i would likely check and call smallish bets. If someone went nuts with a K, i would lose a pot i should win, but them's the breaks for being passive early. I'm liable to get them back later when i have a hand.

luvrhino
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
It's the same concept of when you have crap in the Big Blind and it's unraised to you. Play it the same way after the Flop, although you're even more out of position in the Small Blind.