PDA

View Full Version : small pair and gut shot

norgule
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
This table is very passive with one tight aggressive, besides me.(I hope I am anyway)

In this hand I limped in with 44 because I had two loose limpers in front and expected at least two more behind .

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

The button is loose passive, really likes any Ax
I checked the flop hoping enough people would limp in to give me pot equity on my gut shot.Since I knew almost all would call I raised for value(correct? ,incorrect? and why please.)

Flop: (7 SB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

On the turn since no one reraised , on flop , I assumed at worst a pair of A's from the button. I have a gut shot worth 4 outs , a pair of 4's to make a full boat 2 outs
and 1 more out from the 5's to make a boat(I discounted one out because two of the players were very likely to have
A and some low card like a five, but probably not the button)I have 7 outs (?) and getting 9 to one to call
(do I raise, because if I hit I'm sure to get action on the river)

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

I don't know what happened here, I was thinking check/fold to a raise , since I was planning to call one bet anyway I figured I might knock out one or two limpers with only
a pair, in case the button had 2255.

River: (10.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.50 BB, between Button, UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

Entity
10-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Check/call the flop. You've got a gutshot, but your 4's are tainted (they complete another gutshot). Your call is borderline on the turn (it would be an easy fold if you hadn't raised the flop), and I really don't like the bet on the river. What worse hands out there call you? K2?

I'm pretty puzzled about the way this whole hand went down.

Bez
10-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Call this flop. The 4's may be tainted - you may need the board to pair as well if you hit 1. The call on the turn is just about correct with implied odds if you hit. Why did you bet this river? I can't work it out?

norgule
10-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah I completely missed the tainted 4's thing, did not see it would complete another gut shot(DOH).
I think the river thing was just stupidity in action.
can't get this aggressive thing right.
Pot equity and pot odds are hard to figure in 20 secs.
That damn clock ruins the game I think.

CWsports
10-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Another reason you shouldn't raise the flop is that you're out of position vs. the button. If you reversed positions and MP3 bet out and you were the button I could possibly see raising to buy a free card.

LowDown22
10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Check-call flop. I'll give you 5 outs (four 3's and 1 out for the two 4's that may complete someone's straight).

Without your flop raise it'd be 7.5 BBs to you on the turn after the button's turn bet. I think the implied odds make it ok to call here(5 outs, ~8 or 8.5 to 1 odds). You can make up that bet on the river if you hit your 4 or 3.

Fold river.

eric5148
10-07-2004, 01:49 PM
There are many flaws in your thought process.

On the flop, your barely getting the odds to call, so why put in two bets voluntarily? Are you building the pot just to have the odds to chase a longshot? Value raising means you have a strong hand or very strong sraw, not a 4-6 outer.

On the turn you can't count another 5 as two or even 1 out.

[ QUOTE ]
do I raise, because if I hit I'm sure to get action on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would they want to give you action on the river if you raise the turn?

There's a .001% chance you have the best hand on the river, and they won't fold with any piece of the board. Just because one of them could have only a deuce, there's no way you should bet here.