PDA

View Full Version : Best way to season cast-iron pans?

Allan
10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I've got Calphalon and All-clad and all that fancy crap but I think I use my cast-iron stuff the most. I've got a problem getting the stuff well seasoned though and stuff starts to stick etc. I've tried on the stove top, in the oven, diferrent heat/time combo's and I still can't get get them to where it seems right. Any hints?

Thanks,
Allan

Clarkmeister
10-07-2004, 12:31 PM
I have no clue how to help you, but I nominate this thread to be the best "Other Other Topics" thead that has been posted since the inception of this forum a few weeks ago.

ThaSaltCracka
10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
why do you seasons pans? You don't eat them. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

benfranklin
10-07-2004, 12:49 PM
1. Best way: buy "Lodge Logic" preseasoned cast iron

2. http://www.kitchenemporium.com/info/castiron.html

3. http://antiques.about.com/cs/miscellaneous/ht/CleanCastiron.htm

Link 2 tells how to season a new pan, Link 3 how to reseason an old pan. Whatever method you use, I have found it best to repeat the major process at least twice before using the pan. And put some aluminum foil on the oven rack first.

Each time I use a pan, I clean it (no soap), put it on the stove over medium heat, and spray it with vegetable oil spray to reseason it. Just let it cool off on the stove, then lightly wipe away any excess oil with a paper towel.

offTopic
10-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Web resources abound...I haven't cooked a lot with cast iron, but the sticking problems I'd had with stainless were greatly mitigated by letting cold stuff get to room temperature before cooking.

tek
10-07-2004, 01:07 PM
You play poker and cook? What's wrong with ya? Order out for Chinese and pizza like a normal poker player /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Toro
10-07-2004, 01:18 PM
The more you use it the better it will get. Hope you're not washing it to clean it. Soap is your enemy. After use, scrub it with Kosher salt and wipe it clean with a paper towel, then rub a little olive oil in it.

After a while, it will be as good as teflon for non-sticking.

Phat Mack
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I second Toro. Don't soak the pans, and don't put them in a dish washer. Wipe them clean. If you have to rinse them, either dry them with a towel or put them on top of the range on low heat.