PDA

View Full Version : Best Cigar for around $1

JTrout
10-07-2004, 12:06 PM
I got some of JR alternatives, and found them a good cigar for around a buck a stick. If you don't compare them to the cigar they are "copying", but enjoy them for their own merits, then a good value.

I'm curious to hear your favorite cigars that you can get for around $1. whether on sale, closeout, whatever...

If you don't know any in this price range, then tell me the best cigar "value" to you.

JTrout

Allan
10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
They aren't a buck, but I've always thought the Punch Rothschild Double Maduros were a great "everyday" smoke.

Allan

Toro
10-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Recent great thread on this titled "Anyone smoke Cigars" by Inthacup dated 8/12/04 in the News, views, gossip forum.

HDPM
10-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Was gonna recommend JR Alts when I read the post title. Like the fake montecristo robustos. Bad luck with fonseca 10-10. Poor construction. Excellent deal once w/ some fuente hemingway rejects from jr. Very good for a buck.

Also got lucky at thompson once. They usually don't have good prices. But the best cheapo I had was a batch of leon jimenez seconds from them. The first batch was the best, but then they weren't as good. Those were very good. One or two out of 25 didn't smoke, but the others were great.

JTrout
10-07-2004, 04:08 PM
I got a bundle of JR alt. cohiba robustos, and a bundle of lagloria cubana coronas. Of the two, the LGC is more flavorful, and I prefer it. I'll try the montecristo alt. next.

I saw on JR's site so many deals, and I'm new to buying cigars over the internet. I was mainly curious as to everyones' thoughts towards deals such as the bucket of cigars on JR's, and other similar deals at other sites, that claim these are premium cigars- Just unlabeled, or miscut, or seconds.
Each site makes them sound great. Curious to know if they're quality, or if I'm falling for a sales' pitch!

Thanks to everyone's responses.

JTrout

Rick Nebiolo
10-08-2004, 04:51 AM
JR Cigar may have run out but a month ago I got a box of 30 Montecruz Cubana Negra 6" by 50 ring gauge cigars for $72 with the second box free. This comes to just over a buck apiece for a pretty decent cigar IMHO. Buying it entitled me to buy a box of ten name brand variety cigars (all 50 ring gauge by 5 inches) for about $30 bucks and those have been tremendous so far.

I've had some misses with JR but you often get great deals on closeouts and other weird stuff. About six months ago I got a giant bunch of name brand cigars with the labels removed that had damaged ends cut off (the end you light - I think it is called the foot -too tired to look it up now). Total cost came to about 70 cents each and these were clearly high quality cigars.

~ Rick