PDA

View Full Version : Rampant Speculation. (Or, bloating your VP$IP 101.)

nothumb
10-07-2004, 11:43 AM
FWIW I think I have a fairly tight table image. I've been called down and showed top pair or better just about every time... if these fools can read they think I'm a by the book player.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Loose-passives behind me, is this limp still too loose? I've been thinking I need to tighten up in EP and MP, especially with speculative hands.

Flop: (6 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Ok, I have a flush draw, I think I'll get a few calls.

Turn: (4 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

Thoughts?

NT

SomethingClever
10-07-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd play 76s 6-handed, but I'd have to be pretty darn sure it's going to get 6-handed when I limp from that position.

I'd probably take a couple shots where you did, but if someone plays back at me, I'm done with the hand.

Edit: Didn't even notice the flush draw. Good semi-bluff on the turn... and you don't even mind that much if you get raised. Just call and see if you spike a spade.

flair1239
10-07-2004, 11:55 AM
PF: This honestly depends upon the table. Just sitting down with no reads I muck. After I get the feel of a table though (for me 30-45 min), I will make this call if the conditions are there.

Flop: Good.

Turn: I agree. There is a chance he might fold; also if you check you are probably going to have to call a bet anyway. I also don't think it is a huge tragedy if you get raised.

Hands he might fold here, would be middle or bottom pair. He will probably call down with any ace, straight draw, or flush draw.

Anyway, I would bet out heads up as well.

flexus
10-07-2004, 11:55 AM
Fold preflop. This kind of out-of-position limping with weak hands in shorthanded pots is going to cost you a lot.

The fop bet is standard.

Since you only got one opponent I think the turn bet is fine, especially against weak/tight passive opponents. Getting raised here would really suck.

SomethingClever
10-07-2004, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting raised here would really suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't suck that bad. He's still got 9 flush outs, and if he hits, he can check/raise the river.

HajiShirazu
10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
I guess if you know enough about the table that the action would go just as it did here then the call is okay. But the conditions would have to be just right and even then it's a marginal play.
It's worth a shot on the turn if you're calling anyway which you are. But then you have to bluff the river too. But that's why you don't play 76s up front too much. Because situations like this are no fun.

Sarge85
10-07-2004, 12:31 PM
I take the free card here.

Betting can have it's merits, but if I'm going to throw another bet on the turn, in lieu of taking a free card, I want to have some other part of the board, - even if it was just a backdoor draw, or overcard outs, or bottom pair.

In this situation that T/images/graemlins/heart.gif didn't give you any of the above, so I take the free card (if the button doesnt bet) and see what the river brings.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

nothumb
10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
He folded the turn, I win.

FWIW I think the pre-flop limp was bad but I play same next time the rest of the hand.

NT