PDA

View Full Version : Natedogg or other PL O8 players

01-17-2002, 02:48 AM
Natedogg, you were at the table during this hand and it's a pretty common occurance, so I'm wondering what the best thing to do with it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my PL O8 table image is, at least during that session, tight/passive (I know, I know, I'm working on it). Anyway, about four people including me limped in pre-flop I was on the button if I remember correctly. The flop gave me A2345 rainbow. The bet was checked to me. I chose to make a $2 bet. Everybody folded.

Would I have been better off to check and hope the pot built up a bit before putting in a serious bet myself (but risking getting quartered AND beaten for high)? I can't help but feel that, given my tight/weak image, I would've earned more by slow playing. Appreciate any comments.

01-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Without a redraw to a higher hand, you shouldn't be checking here. You can probably get people with similar, but not quite as lows to call, such as a low to the six. If you don't want a flop that gives you the nut low and a straight, what the hell kind of flop do you want?

The real answer to your question lies in getting rid of that passive image. Passivity is the worst thing possible in poker. When you bet, people get scared, and they love to have you in pots because they can bet you off hands you shouldn't be releasing. Start playing a lot more aggressively, don't worry about losing some money as long as it is _noticeable_. When you're no longer passive, if you bet this hand out you'll get some callers. If you play to your passive tendencies you'll never be a large winning player -- beat that tendency.

Max

01-17-2002, 01:46 PM
thats what happens with a tight passive image. you cant win when you dont get cards and you win nothing when you do. just stepping out once in awhile might make a big difference.

01-18-2002, 02:33 AM
I almost never play pot limit omaha/8. It's a stupid game. Very boring. No interesting subtlety to it at all. Escape with the low over and over and over and ....

natedogg