PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tommy and the no limit sharks

01-16-2002, 03:04 PM
I have a simple question. Of the times you have had KK when someone was dealt AA what percentage of times did you get away from the hand (mainly talking preflop here)

01-16-2002, 04:16 PM

01-16-2002, 06:54 PM
JV,

If the money is real deep, I can get away from the average player. Aces and Kings are not the hands I make much money on. So, to answer your question, I can lay down the kings, unless my opponent does not have much money, I'll call him is he's not a rock.

In a tournament, since the money is not deep due to the blind increases, I have never gotten away from Kings preflop.

A.S.

01-16-2002, 08:22 PM
I am no expert or shark, and when I do play in the games around here, I'm the one watching my back because the sharks smell blood.

But with KK, you can get away if the stacks are deep. I've done it one time. With a very deep stack, you just can't risk it with KK when someone else is pushing you all in after you've already shown that you like your hand.

With medium or short stacks, you really can't get away unless the opponent is a total predictable rock.

The other thing is that against very tough opponents, you can lay down KK and not ever know if it was the right move! A great player is never going to show you those aces. And if a sucker finally moves in for the first time and shows you AA when you fold, he's twice the sucker for showing it.

natedogg

01-16-2002, 10:44 PM
I can only remember one time in a tourney, and that was when it got raised 3 times before it got to me in the BB. And the last 2 raises were all-ins by the tightest guys at the table. It turned out they BOTH had AA, and the original raiser paid them off with JJ of all hands.

I also only recall one time in a cash game, and again it was a total rock who raised all-in. NL HE with 5,5 blinds, we get a limp in early position by a guy who never limps in early, then a raise, and then an all-in, over-the-top, 10x the pot sized raise by the rock. I folded KK behind him, and he got called by the limper who had the other KK. He had the AA.

Both of these times were NOT big laydowns. If the raisers had been tricky players, they would have been tough decisions. Given who they were, it wasn't very hard at all.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)