PDA

View Full Version : Republican ethics update

Cyrus
10-07-2004, 10:11 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- For the second time in two weeks, the House Ethics Committee has issued admonishments to Majority Leader Tom DeLay over his conduct, warning the Texas Republican to "temper" his future actions to comply with House rules and standards of conduct.

The committee announced Wednesday evening that it had unanimously admonished DeLay on two counts of an ethics complaint filed against him by Rep. Chris Bell, a Texas Democrat. ...

CNN Report (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/delay.ethics/index.html)

<font color="white">. </font>

texaspimp
10-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update! I look forward to updates from the other side of the aisle!

Good luck in the future!

Felix_Nietsche
10-08-2004, 01:30 AM
Tom delay offered to help a fellow congressman's son raise money for office if the guy would vote his way....

Wow...This is another "watergate"
I never realized this kind of thing happened in Politics &lt;Yawn&gt;

andyfox
10-08-2004, 01:32 AM
You know it funny, I saw a headline on CNN today about this, and I thought it said they were delaying the ethics debate: "DeLay Ethics Debate."

Anyway, he's such a POS, who cares?

whiskeytown
10-08-2004, 01:45 AM
republican ethics - &lt;snort&gt;

about a big of an oxymoron as military intelligence

RB

Cyrus
10-08-2004, 04:22 AM
Once again, from the article (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/delay.ethics/index.html) :

For the second time in two weeks, the House Ethics Committee has issued admonishments to Majority Leader Tom DeLay over his conduct, warning the Texas Republican to "temper" his future actions to comply with House rules and standards of conduct.

Now, as you say, the matter at hand may seem trivial (to you or others), but it moved the Ethics Committee, including its GOP members, to censure publicly and unanimously the goddamn Majority Leader!

If this is a "yawn" issue to you, you must be yawning very rarely.

GWB
10-08-2004, 06:24 AM
What you missed is that all serious charges were dropped and the committee did a cover-your-ass move to prevent it being obvious that they were wasting time on frivilous claims. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom DeLay has been vindicated. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cyrus
10-08-2004, 08:21 AM
"What you missed is that all serious charges were dropped and the committee did a cover-your-ass move to prevent it being obvious that they were wasting time on frivolous claims."

What we are missing is how the above claim of yours can jive with the fact that the Committee unanimously censured DeLay! The Republican members also voted to censure DeLay.

And if you are gonna excuse this with "intra-party antipathies" etc, remember that the eminent Mr DeLay is no small-potato junior representative, he is the Majority Leader. So this excuse won't wash either.

El Barto
10-08-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't get what is so wrong with what DeLay did. Mickey Kaus also doesn't. From Kausfiles on Slate:

Why was it either illegal or unethical for House Majority Leader Tom DeLay to offer to endorse Rep. Nick Smith's son if Smith voted for the Bush Medicare drug bill? I understand why offering Smith $100,000 would be illegal. But an endorsement? Isn't that, you know, what happens in politics and what is supposed to happen? ("You back this bill I think is very important for the country and I'll be so grateful I'll endorse you or your designated heir.") It's about the most benign form of arm-twisting I can imagine, involving Rep. DeLay's exercise of his speech rights. ... What if Timothy Noah told John McCain "If you vote to abolish the electoral college I'll praise you in a Slate item!" Wouldn't that be offering "anything of value"? Slate ink is worth something. Would Noah be guilty of bribery? ... P.S.: Would it really be more ethical if DeLay had offered Smith the chairmanship of the Appropriations Committee (which everyone seems to think would be perfectly OK)? ...

Can someone explain how what DeLay did was anything other than typical political negotiating?

Wake up CALL
10-08-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What we are missing is how the above claim of yours can jive with the fact that the Committee [iu]unanimously censured DeLay! The Republican members also voted to censure DeLay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Complete lies, no censure at all although it was reported as such. Check the Congressional record for the truth. Barbara Boxer went on TV and said the same thing although she knew better. More research is required here my friend.

adios
10-08-2004, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Complete lies, no censure at all although it was reported as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right. Cyrus may be a John Kerry protege /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Felix_Nietsche
10-08-2004, 01:50 PM
The Difference Between the GOP and the Donkeys is the GOP has the ability to correct their own. The Donkeys don't unless the evidence is so overwhelming they can't cover up anymore.

Yes, I think the Delay episode is a yawner. What concerns me is bribery and financial conflict of interests. E.g. Tom Dascle's wife being a lobbiest for Boeing, and the Govt has chosen to rent Boeing jets instead of purchasing them. The tax payers would have saved tons of money if they had bought the jets. Of course Linda Dascle does not lobby the Senate (cough,cough).