PDA

View Full Version : $2-4 Hand, KK vs. a board with AKJT

ChicagoTroy
10-07-2004, 10:11 AM
I slowed this down quite a bit, would anybody have played it faster?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB

Fnord
10-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Ummm... table texture?

QT is unlikely to raise UTG.
Qx is unlikely to play the flop like that.

Looks like AA/JJ/AK/AJ to me.

Put in at least one more raise. Maybe cap the turn and call the river? I have trouble finding balance in these spots too.

QTip
10-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Wow....I think I play it the way you did.

A lot of players, myself included, will raise under the gun with AQs sometimes even AJs or even AQ os. I think you're probably in trouble here with this great hand you have.

First I put in a prayer that the board pairs, then only AA beats you...however, obviously God wasn't listening.

So many hands have you:

A anything suited clubs
AQ anything
AA

All likely preflop raises

Hopefully is AK and he has two pair...however, he'd have to be extremely aggressive to play them this way.

I'm dying to know what happened.

QTip
10-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Fnord...you seem to be a more seasoned player than I am...so I bow to your suggestion here....

I think I would have raise the turn as well if the ten hadn't fell....I would have been looking for a non-club rag.

ChicagoTroy
10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Very good read. I was worried about QQ or AQs/o.

He turns AJo for flopped 2 pair and MHIG. Better hand reading on my part would have saved me some money, but I find the raising decisions and particularly the raising hands they DON'T raise with a reason to exercise caution on terrible boards like this.

So far (~4000 hands) I've found that anything past very rudimentary hand reading on non-TAGs useless here. Maybe I should look more closely.

QTip
10-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Great!

So are you saying that you still stick by not reraising?

By the way, what does MHIG mean?

Thanks.

Piiop
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was worried about QQ or AQs/o.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can rule out QQ easily. He didn't cap preflop (tho some passive players don't) and there's no way QQ would go that aggressive on the flop.

AQ is a good possibility. Raised preflop but didn't cap fits AQ. However, not many players would checkraise/cap the flop on that board against a preflop 3-bet.

I think he's much more likely to have AK/AJ/JJ.

I would raise once more on the turn and call down if 3-bet.

Piiop
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what does MHIG mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

My Hand Is Good.

ChicagoTroy
10-07-2004, 11:13 AM
MHIG = My hand is good. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I meant I should have considered the fact that he didn't cap it preflop a little more closely. Fnord narrowed his holdings to a range of hands I mostly beat (I would still consider AQ), so putting a few more value bets in would have been smart. Of course, it's entirely likely he would have folded to any increased aggression on my part, since he loses to AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQs, almost every legitimate 3-betting hand in my position.

ChicagoTroy
10-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Sounds about right to me too, thanks.

QTip
10-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks....

Perhaps I need to take note as well..

Sometimes I assume the worst and don't maximize my winnings.

I do remember reading "Don't assume the worst."

HajiShirazu
10-07-2004, 11:51 AM
There aren't many hands that a guy would play this way. AJ, JJ, maybe AQ although not many would play it like that on the flop, and the unlikely AK.
I would expect to see JJ most of the time on the turn and would have to put in at least one more raise.
Surprised he only had AJ.