PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8: Basics for pot-limit

01-16-2002, 01:27 PM
I'm relatively new to pot-limit, but have played many years of limit O8. There doesn't seem to be a lot of books on PL O8. I started playing recently on UB and an occassional pot-limit home game. I could use some help on a few common issues, specifically differences between pot-limit and limit:

1. Is there much difference in starting hand requirements for entering a pot? How about raising preflop? I see a number of people raising a bare AA, but I wouldn't do this myself. I've confined my raising to A2 with good chances for high. Perhaps too tight.

2. How is a nut low draw played with nothing going for high? How about a made low with nothing for high? Here the cost of being quartered is MUCH bigger in pot-limit. With conterfeit protection and without?

3. With a current lock for high, say a straight or top trips, how is this played with a dangerous board, say flush draw and low draw out there? Bet heavy on flop or wait for turn to pull the trigger if your hand is still good?

I know you must know the players, and situations are all different, I'm just looking for general considerations. Thanks in advance.

01-16-2002, 04:09 PM
I'd say if you've got the current lock for high and you have no shot at low,(Trips or Nut straight), on the flop, you should be the one folding if there's a scary board. Here's a situation. Flop is 679 and you've got 89TJ. What do you do when a low comes on the turn and makes two to a suit? You don't want to call a big bet to get your money back. By someone who made the low and turned a flush draw. Wait till you get the low + a decent high and punish those people who'll put it in w/ the current nuts even if your low is already there. I've found that a lot of people will bet the straight to the eight(w/out a good low) very strong even if there's 2 to a flush out, so I just wait for those situations in my home game.

01-17-2002, 02:31 AM
3. With a current lock for high, say a straight or top trips, how is this played with a dangerous board, say flush draw and low draw out there? Bet heavy on flop or wait for turn to pull the trigger if your hand is still good?

This is similar to a hand I played last night. The flop gave me the nut str8 and included a flush draw. I had AQc so I wasn't worried. UTG bet a couple of bucks (don't know her but she kept telling everybody how good she was. Anyway, no doubt more experienced than I).

One player called, I raised $2 more. (My stack was about $30, the others each had a couple of hundred.)

The turn brought another high club giving me the nut flush, no pairs on board, no low hand possible. UTG bet $5, Other Player called, I raised $5. UTG called, OP folded. The river brought a 7o, now a pair on board. UTG bet the equivalent of half my stack, I raised all in, she called and won with a full house.

Would going all-in with me having such a small stack make her give up her two pairs on the turn? Would I want her to give up her draw? I think I played it well and just ran into one of those situations that happens sometimes, but I'd appreciate comments.

01-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Wait for one of the experts to step in, but - for what it's worth - I think you should have raised the max with your nut flush on the turn. You let them draw for a good price. I would want to win the pot now, to increase my small stack, not let the opps draw cheaply in order to take it away on the river. Or at least charge them through the nose for that privelige.

G