PDA

View Full Version : Poker Odds book

VinnyTheFish
10-07-2004, 08:29 AM
I know this may sound complete ignorant, but I am asking anyway.

Does anyone know of a good book that is dedicated to calculating poker odds. The kind of book I am speaking of would be one that a Prob/Stat teacher would use in his/her college class. Obviously, Professors will not teach poker odds as a lesson, but I do recall my Prob/Stats class where we spend two weeks on odds involving a 52-card deck.

(Yes, my teach loved Blackjack, and I am assuming poker).

I know that in all the basic poker books, pot odds are explained. In posts, we have estimated and calculated +EV and all that good stuff, but I am looking for a concrete book dedicated to poker odds that is purely mathematical and one that a college profession would consider using in a calls.

Thanks

VinnyTheFish
10-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Right now, I have reaserched adn found only "Gambling Theory and other Topics" by Malmuth as a good option. Although it does not seem to have the math examples I am looking for.

Has anyone read or come across books worth spending time on that cover odds calculations in depth?

Thanks.

VinnyTheFish
10-08-2004, 10:14 AM
The Theory of Gambling and Statistical Logic, Revised Edition by Richard A. Epstein (Paperback)

This book has one review. by a Math Grad student. Anyone read it?

jason1990
10-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Well I'm a professor and my research area is probability. And I have never seen a book such as the one you're describing. At least not one that meets my standards for use in the classroom. I've not read the books you mentioned. I imagine they contain many formulas from statistics, but that for derivations of these formulas, you must look elsewhere. If I were going to teach a class like that, I think I would have to write my own class notes and put them on the web, instead of using a textbook.

Hmmm...maybe somebody already did that. You could check math professors' websites for something like that. Or just try searching with Google.

VinnyTheFish
10-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks. I would not teach it in class, but I was just interested in a book dedicated to card and gambling theory. I have been searching and still will.

Thanks for you responce.

garyc8
10-09-2004, 10:53 AM
This book would not be used in a class and is not dedicated to stats and calcs, but there are a lot of useful probabilities listed in it:
Ken Warren's book on low-limit hold'em (I don't recall the exact title)

VinnyTheFish
10-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks!

Crix
10-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi Vinney
The book you are looking for is called "Hold'em's odd(s)book" by Mike Petriv. This is the definitive book on poker odds. Reads like a high school Trig book, but it's the real deal.

VinnyTheFish
10-09-2004, 07:08 PM
That sounds great! Thx.

Lost Wages
10-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Hold'em Odds Book, as someone has mentioned is really the only one. You won't find it at Amazon but you can get it at Gambler's Book Club (http://www.gamblersbookclub.com).

You might also find this site (http://www.math.sfu.ca/~alspach/) interesting.

Lost Wages