PDA

View Full Version : Good Pre-Flop?

Ajax410
10-07-2004, 05:34 AM
Pretty sure my play is solid after the flop (with the exception that I could have capped the flop). Is my pre-flop decision okay, and is my post-flop play extracting max value?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

River: (20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 23 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 23 BB, between Button, Hero and UTG+1.</font>

John White
10-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Button was on the nut flush draw with made hand? I hope that I have the balls to cap the flop in these situations.

Entity
10-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Preflop getting 10:1 is close. I'd probably call but I'm still not thrilled about it.

You absolutely, positively must cap this flop when it comes back to you 3-bet.

Otherwise fine.

Rob

Greg J
10-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I think with 4 other players this is a good preflop call.

You say you are confident in yr postflop play, but I'm not sure about it on this hand. I think you bet out this flop and reraise when it gets back to you. You had to opportunity to cap it and you should have.

You played the other streets fine.

Entity
10-07-2004, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think with 4 other players this is a good preflop call.

You say you are confident in yr postflop play, but I'm not sure about it on this hand. I think you bet out this flop and reraise when it gets back to you. You had to opportunity to cap it and you should have.

You played the other streets fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree about betting out on this flop. UTG+1 was the PFR, and unless he's unusually passive, I'd expect him to bet here.

Let him bet, then wait for the field to call, then c/r to build the pot. That'd be my line here. Unfortunately SB screwed that up, so I might overcall again, but when UTG+1 3-bets and SB just calls, you NEED to cap.

Rob

John White
10-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Oh, pre-flop? SSHE says fold (Q8s is the cutoff for loose games).

Entity
10-07-2004, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, pre-flop? SSHE says fold (Q8s is the cutoff for loose games).

[/ QUOTE ]
With Q8s being the cutoff, Q7s is definitely close. I'd say it's probably neutral EV.

Rob

k000k
10-07-2004, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is my pre-flop decision okay, and is my post-flop play extracting max value?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop, sure.. It's not the greatest spot to be in but whatcha gonna do.... You're getting 9:1 and closing the action.

POST flop is great, by not capping the flop, you look like a calling station, nothing to be afraid of.. On the turn, the UTG+1 raise sets up a nice trap, smack em with a 3bet.

You might have gotten away with capping the flop, but that mighta killed off some action.. I like your line just fine!

jar
10-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Are there any rules of thumb to use when value raising non-nut draws? When I read this hand, I thought for a while about capping the flop, but just wasn't sure either way. Does the backdoor straight draw enter in to it? I'm not sure how to value it, since some of the straight cards complete the flush.

Entity
10-07-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are there any rules of thumb to use when value raising non-nut draws? When I read this hand, I thought for a while about capping the flop, but just wasn't sure either way. Does the backdoor straight draw enter in to it? I'm not sure how to value it, since some of the straight cards complete the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play almost all of my draws the same -- you will rarely see a higher flush, so go ahead and play it for as much as you can.

Rob