PDA

View Full Version : Grand Victoria, Rising Sun, Indiana, Poker room now open.

steamboatin
10-07-2004, 01:50 AM
Opened Monday, I drove up tonight, Wednesday and it is a nice room, small but nice. Here is a short review.

Because it is brand new, you can safely assume it was chaotic and the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing but I think they will get it worked out and have a nice place to play.

Currently only four tables but they are building two more. It is a smoking room but no cigars or pipes. Located on the lowest deck next to the bar and snacks. The waitress was good looking.

They spread 5-10, 10-20 and 20-40 holdem and 5-10 stud. There were two tables of 5-10, one 10-20 and they opended a stud game some time after I got a seat.

10% rake with a $5 maximum.

Comps are almost nonexistent, $1 per hour towards food, no poker rate at the hotel, no bad beat or high hand jackpots.

My game was loose passive with spurts of betting stupid. They called everything but I was lucky and didn't get sucked out very often. I am only an average player and I left after less than three hours up $299.

I realy hated to leave but today is going to be a very busy day and I will need some sleep.

gregdillon
10-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Yippy!!! (I'm from Cincy...) I'll write a review as well when I get a chance to go.

steamboatin
10-07-2004, 04:54 PM
I forgot to mention, they charged a $5 poker chip for a seating fee. I haven't played that many places but had never been charged a seating fee before.

TomCollins
10-07-2004, 05:36 PM
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I might have to make a trip from Cincy when I am there in a few weeks.

Stew
10-07-2004, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention, they charged a $5 poker chip for a seating fee. I haven't played that many places but had never been charged a seating fee before.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did what?

12AX7
10-07-2004, 11:00 PM
So they put the poker room back in the steamboat?

Just curious. I was there in '99 then went away.

Guess the WPT thing has got them restoring it back?

gregdillon
10-08-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn riverboats! I should have guessed.

MicroBob
10-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Talked with a guy from Ohio last year who said they were talking about doing this. Didn't know it had become reality.

I grew up north of Cincy and have been to the Argosy and Grand Victoria.

Bringing up another question....why on earth doesn't the Argosy get a poker-room?

I suspect the games at the Vic will be VERY good btw. tunica games can be soft....but there are enough players who have a clue to make them tricky.
I would bet there will be VERY FEW players at the Grand Vic who play even close to decently.

tom collins - I assume you will be flying to Cincy (it says you're from Texas). I guess there are shuttles or something to Grand Vic....but it is a significant hike from Cincinnati to the Vic.

I would guess it's 30 minutes from downtown to the Argosy. And I think it's another 30 minutes from the Argosy to the Vic. This would be even longer if you're staying in an eastern suburb of Cincy.

TomCollins
10-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Argosy doesn't have a poker room for the same reason they don't have $10 min blackjack. Because of the $$$. They have a limited space, and poker takes up a lot of space and brings in little revenue.

I'm actually going to be flying into Columbus. I will be there for 2 days on business, and have the weekend free. I grew up in Cincinnati, and still have some family there, so I will visit there in the day, and drive to play cards at night. It took me about 30-40 minutes to get there from the part of town I'll be coming from (last time it took me 3 hours to get home because of an ice storm). I'll be on the east side, but I can cut through Kentucky. Argosy is 20 minutes at most from downtown. I'll have a car, so I'll be alright.

Anyone who plays in the 10-20 or 20-40 game at some point, let me know how it is. I'm mainly a NL player, but I've been dabbling more in limit games. I'll probably try the 20-40 when I go. I would play bigger if they had it, I can't imagine the games being too tough.

steamboatin
10-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Wednesday night the highest limit was 10-20. There was a big commotion at that table and it turns out two players had called a capped preflop with 2,4 and split the pot with two pair.