PDA

View Full Version : Are my Kings good here? (first post)

Reqtech
10-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, UTG calls.

Button 3-betting makes me think that he has a pocket pair.

Flop: (15.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Great, no ace. But his raise makes me wonder if he hit his set....so I went into check and call mode.
Turn: (9.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Please be gentle to me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

btspider
10-07-2004, 12:25 AM
you're thinking is too scared. he could have many hands preflop and on the flop. 3-bet the flop and then consider calling down if he caps, (edit) tho i'd probably bet the turn.

yzerman18
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
3 bet the flop.
Bet the turn and I'd even 3 bet again. I'd probally slow down on the river if the turn is capped.

If you run into AA or JJ so be it and you'll have a nice bad beat story to tell which no one will listen to.

Klak
10-07-2004, 12:29 AM
id say cap the flop then bet the turn. if he raises there, he has the set for sure.

wuwei
10-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Welcome to the forums.

You said the pf 3-bet made you think he had a pocket pair. Your play depends on that read, of course. If you think he'd do this with any pocket pair, I'm inclined to 3-bet the flop and see if he caps. If you think he would only do this with hands like JJ-AA, then you played it well. You beat one of those hands, split with one, and lose to two. And is your read based on his prior actions, or just how you would play in his position?

Unless I know he's tight preflop, I would 3-bet the flop. If he caps, then I'm ok with calling down from there. But at .5/1, its more likely you're ahead here than you think.

Cosimo
10-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Posting your thinking is appreciated. Did you have any reads on your opponents? Try to post those if you have them, please. Also, take a look at the proposed posting guidelines being discussed in the SS forum: proposed guidelines (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=1104460) and the thread that started the guidelines discussion (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=1103190).

Reraise the flop. Bet the turn if he doesn't cap.

CrazyEyez
10-07-2004, 01:55 AM
I 3-bet the flop. If he caps and I don't hit a K on the turn, I guess I have to call down. I can't see him continuing to push that hard with QQ, which leaves JJ, KK, and AA as likely culprits. He's gotta be putting you on a big pair also, so if he still caps the flop you're probably beat.

Reqtech
10-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Results below in white
<font color="white">
Button shows [ Td, Tc ] a pair of tens.
Hero shows [ Kh, Ks ] a pair of kings.
Hero wins 13BB from the main pot with a pair of kings.
</font>

Reqtech
10-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the links. I've been lurking here for about a couple months now, but I haven't seen those threads. I've been a just above breakeven player for the past 3 months never losing my initial $50 investment but never getting above $200. I'm hoping posting a questionable hand every so often will help me start crushing this limit, it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride so far with not enough consistency, IMO.

Reqtech
10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
My thinking of him having a pocket pair is because while I didn't necessarily have a read on him, the table overall had been very passive. I was basically the only one who raised preflop in this session, so being reraised made me think he had a pair.

PokerBob
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
I think I'd 3-bet the flop and go into check/call if he caps. He's either got Aces, Kings, a set or is insane. Either way, I don't think you can fold. Try to show it down for cheap after the flop.

PokerBob
10-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Just read the results. I guess he was insane.