PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated, need help

kleraudio
10-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I have been playing $10 +1 tournaments for the past six months and have done very well. My roi is upper 60% and i have had a lot of confidence in my game so far. well, last night i decided it was time to test bigger waters so i jumped up to the 20+2 level. I placed sixth and was very dissapointed. Im not sure if the reason is i didnt get any real playable hands, which i didnt, or if it was because i was a little intimidated because it was my first time in higher levels. I would like to show my hand history for that tournament but i dont want to bore everyone with it, so if you wouldnt mind takin a look at the hand history i would love to send it to you and take your comments on my play. I would like to know:
1) was i too tight
2) did i miss steal opportunities later in tournament
- if i did miss some, where would you have stolen
3)was i really getting crappy starting hands, or do you think it was intimidation.
4) anything else you would like to add.

i would greatly appreciate it if some of you experienced players would take the time to help me out. please send me an email at kleraudio at yahoo dot com and i will mail you the hand history.

Thanks again,

Jim /images/graemlins/spade.gif

dethgrind
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing $10 +1 tournaments for the past six months and have done very well. My roi is upper 60% and i have had a lot of confidence in my game so far. well, last night i decided it was time to test bigger waters so i jumped up to the 20+2 level. I placed sixth and was very dissapointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many 10+1 SNGs have you played? 60% ROI is considered unsustainably high; it's generally accepted that you need to play several hundred SNGs at a certain level to get a reasonable figure.

You shouldn't be upset after losing just one tournament. If you play enough, you should grow to expect occasional long stretches of consecutive losses, even as a winning player.

You'll probably get more and better ideas and input if you post a few specific hands from the tournament. You'll probably get very few people to read your entire tournament history, but a lot of people will read and respond to a couple hands.

willie
10-06-2004, 10:35 PM
when i jumped to the 20s, i found that play was just as bad as the tens.

only difference i saw

- people would bet a set on the flop, i saw this twice, something i hadn't really run into in typical play on the tens.

guy held jt, and would bet as if he held midpair into a jj8 flop.

there really is little difference, they still like the draws and everything, don't sweat it, if you crush the tens the 20s are cake.

i'll take a look at the history.

willie
10-07-2004, 12:44 PM
i don't see much really wrong besides the fact that you played extremely tight.

i know that's how you've made a killing on the 10+1s and it usually works, but when you're card dead there isn't much you can do.

suprised you didn't try to limp the medium pair the one time that you had it, cause it was among the best hands that you held.

i'd just chalk this up to being exceptionally card dead and not taking a shot till you were really shortstacked.

kleraudio
10-07-2004, 04:01 PM
thanks for the replies, especially willie, im glad you agree i was card dead, it makes me feel a little better. as for the pocket 7's, i wanted to limp but i could not stand a raise with it, i was in early position and didnt have many chips left, so i figured folding was a good move thinkin id pick up a better hand in the future. as for dethgrind's post, i have started to keep serious records of the past 100 SNG's, i know its not a great sample but its decent. also i will post some specific hands up here from that SNG to get some more input from others.

Thanks again for the help everyone

Jim /images/graemlins/spade.gif