Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 09:36 PM
and I am freaking out

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 09:42 PM
The apocalypse is upon us

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 09:44 PM
Too bad that GR2B didn't stay in the park...

GoT

The Dude
10-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Yanks got lucky w/ that ground rule double.

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Too bad that GR2B didn't stay in the park...

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it you meant "thank god the GRB@...." (GRB@....)

banditbdl
10-06-2004, 10:21 PM
The Twins ain't the BoSox, they're not gonna hand the game over to you...

Edge34
10-06-2004, 10:26 PM
In Joe Nathan we trust...come on Twinkies!!!

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
This game ends in 11!

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 10:31 PM

I most certainly did not. Twins-Bosox ALCS!!!

GoT

The Dude
10-06-2004, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What he actually meant was damn all Yankee fans to hell, but he's just too nice to say it.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
who throws a fastball hitter a fastball??? I mean he can't hit anything with movement, so lets pitch him the one thing that goes straight....

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 11:05 PM
nt

The Dude
10-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Ha ha, stupid.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:24 PM
what hell is Nathan's problem???
Pitch some [censored] strikes!

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:24 PM
what a game.....

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 11:26 PM
what is it about playing in NY that makes the other managers turn their brain off?

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:27 PM
AROD is gay.

mikech
10-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I HATE THE YANKEES!!!

Schneids
10-06-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is it about playing in NY that makes the other managers turn their brain off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping Nathan in was the right move, IMO.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:31 PM
Jacque Jones threw a very Damon-like throw back to the infield.

Jeter is the intangible though, no doubt, that man is a winner.

Non_Comformist
Dah Yankees win.

Jerer is the man. Once again the ghosts come out when we need them. Was there ever any doubt?

banditbdl
One thing to send Nathan out there for the 12th, another thing not to pull the hook after he throws 8 straight balls.

mikech
10-06-2004, 11:32 PM
WTF kinda wet-noodle arm is that on a RIGHTFIELDER??? My frickin' grandmother could make a stronger throw than that!!! God I hate the Yankees--arghhhhhh.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:34 PM
yeah that was some sad [censored] man. I like the yankees, but I always like to quietly root against them in the first round, just because /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 11:34 PM
What does Jeter have to do with anything that happened that inning? The guy got thrown 4 straight balls, was given 3rd on a GR2B, and then tagged on a L9, just like any other player would have.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:35 PM
he must have noticed Jones wasn't set at all for that throw, because he wasn't deep at all. Jeter made a do or die call to go home on that play, IMO.

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 11:36 PM
Well I would disagree and say that his baserunning was heads up and not routine. Joe Morgan (HOFer) seemed to agree as well.

Schneids
10-06-2004, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What does Jeter have to do with anything that happened that inning? The guy got thrown 4 straight balls, was given 3rd on a GR2B, and then tagged on a L9, just like any other player would have.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. Especially against Jones who has a very mediocre arm (and IMO appeared to be shocked to see Jeter was tagging as it did not look like Jones was ready to use a full crow-hop to fire the ball on a line to home...)

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 11:38 PM
Joe Morgan is a Yankee-ass-kisser of an announcer. Jeter did nothing out of the ordinary there. Your job in that situation as a baserunner from third is to MAKE the other team make a perfect catch, perfect throw, and perfect tag. You put the pressure on them to perform. There's no way in hell anybody who wasn't pinchrun for on third is NOT tagging on any ball hit even remotely not shallow.

GoT

andyfox
10-06-2004, 11:39 PM
"Was there ever any doubt?"

Uh, yes.

banditbdl
10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
And by the way, way to have somebody warming up when your sending Nathan out to pitch a 3rd inning, something he hasn't done ALL FREAKIN YEAR.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's no way in hell anybody who wasn't pinchrun for on third is NOT tagging on any ball hit even remotely not shallow.

[/ QUOTE ] In a regular season game yes, but in the bottom of the 11th of a playoff game with the score tied they aren't taggin on essentially everything. Jeter made a heads up play there.

banditbdl
10-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Routine play, it's middle outfield and there are 2 outs with the catch by Jones, not going there would be a sin.

andyfox
10-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I think a lot of the announcers like to hype the Yankee "mystique." Big name players and big name teams lead to bigger ratings. Morgan was one of the 3 or 4 greatest second basemen ever, but he says a lot of strange things about baseball.

Jeter is a very good baserunner. The 12th inning tag-up, though, IMO, was a routine play and Jeter was looking right at the play as it was hit to right field.

Jeter hit a home run, laid down a sacrifice bunt that led to the insurance run (without which, they most likely lose the game) and scored the winning run. He's a solid player who's contributed a lot to their successful seasons the past decade. But it was A-Rod who was the key man for the Yankees in this game.

Meanwhile, it looks like Pedro is on his game tonight.

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 11:48 PM
In a regular season game yes, but in the bottom of the 11th of a playoff game with the score tied they aren't taggin on essentially everything. Jeter made a heads up play there.

No, anybody and everybody who didn't get pinch run for is tagging there. There was absolutely NOTHING "heads up" against Jeter's tag. You simply tag there. That's what you do. You force the Twins to make a perfect catch, perfect throw, and perfect tag. That's just how you do things in that situation. I'm not a Yankee-hater persay, but I just hate it when people pump their pickle just 'cause they're the Yankees. That was very routine baserunning for any decently coahed player.

GoT

GuyOnTilt
10-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Hey Andy,

I agree with all points. Good man.

GoT

andyfox
10-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Big game, you need to do extraordinary things sometimes. Rivera pitched three innings in the final game of the Red Sox series last year. A-Rod swung the bat real well all night, not just against Nathan. I think I'd still rather have Nathan try to get him than anybody else. It wasn't like he had thrown a hundred pitches.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 11:55 PM
I'll say this, based upon my one viewing of the play, Jones did not look deep at all. In fact he looked like he was pretty close. The OF and the infield were all playing in, Jones only had to go back a few steps to get it. Unfortunately for him, his feet weren't set so there was no way he was going to get a good throw off. I think Jeter saw this and went.

I would like to see a replay though before I comment further, because maybe I missed something.

Non_Comformist
10-06-2004, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[b]I just hate it when people pump their pickle just 'cause they're the Yankees. That was very routine baserunning for any decently coahed player.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I had actually pumped my pickle before the game so I was all taken care of in the pickle pumping department

Edge34
10-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey andy,

Nathan lost any and all semblance of control he had on his ball there in the 12th. He lost his focus, maybe the crowd got to him, the pressure of pitching his 3rd inning in Yankee Stadium. I'd much rather have a fresh JC Romero in there when I see Nathan throwing the way he was.

-Edge

(But the way we've played the Yankees, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Twinkies win both of the games at home, because we all know about the 'Dome field advantage /images/graemlins/cool.gif)"

andyfox
10-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Good to get these things out of the way so as not to miss any of the game.

andyfox
10-07-2004, 12:06 AM
I think a lot depends on which Kevin Brown we see in game three: the guy who couldn't get out of the first inning against the Sox, or the guy who gave up only one hit against the Jays. Big game for the Yankees since they'll probably have to see Santana again in game 4.

ThaSaltCracka
10-07-2004, 12:09 AM
I am expecting the worst from Brown.

andyfox
10-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Well, I've been bemoaning their starting pitching all year, and now we'll see if that shotrcoming will be fatal. Mussina was fine last night and Leiber did well enough tonight. All your starting pitchers are 56 years old, they break down easily. I don't know what Vasquez's problem is.

ThaSaltCracka
10-07-2004, 12:58 AM
Yeah, Vasquez has been a bit of an enigma this year. He seems to fit the Jeff Weaver mold.

I honestly think that some pitchers cannot simply pitch well for the Yankees. Much like Clarks heart theory with the Yankees, I just think there is something about being on that team that adversely affects SOME people.

andyfox
10-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Ed Whitson syndrome.

Whitson claims once when he was struggling, the pitching coach came out and said to him, "You're making Billy angry."

banditbdl
10-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Asking Nathan to dig a little deeper is one thing, but not having anybody in the bullpen warming up so you can pull Nathan out after he starts overthrowing and missing the zone by a foot for 8 pitches in a row is inexcusable.

banditbdl
10-07-2004, 01:26 AM
You're reading WAAAY to much into this. An outfielder is catching the ball there are TWO outs and if Jeter scores the Yanks win the game, you tag up each and every single time, if you don't you're an idiot.

Saying Derek Jeter is a great player because he tagged up there is like saying Joe Torre is a great manager because he starts Alex Rodriguez.

andyfox
10-07-2004, 11:46 AM
After the game Torre said something about how three or four times during the game he asked himself why he doesn't retire, what does he need this for. I was so nervous I could barely watch. I still don't understand what is that? Why so nervous over a baseball game? I mean I understand why Torre would be nervous, he's responsible. But me? I was nervous all day just thinking about the game. 0-1, 1-1, 1-3, 3-3, 4-3, 5-3, 5-5, 5-6, 7-6. Very exciting, but you only get so many heartbeats and I used up quite a few more than I otherwise would have.