PDA

View Full Version : What to do...

Duece Three
10-06-2004, 08:37 PM
I am the chip leader (27k) with 31 players left...
A few other players have 20k or more...

Blinds at 300-600 and I decide to call on the button w/5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. (6 see the flop)...

Flop comes all spades, cecked around to the player 2 to my right (who has the second biggest stack at my table), who goed all-in for 21k...

I remember this player pushing all-in w/A /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, with flop of K /images/graemlins/heart.gif,J /images/graemlins/club.gif, 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, getting called by pocket Kings, and catching runner, runner /images/graemlins/heart.gif just a few hands previously...

What should I have done?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

jslag
10-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I would call given your read on his previous plays. It is rare that two players will flop a flush. He probably has the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif with a pair, a set, or much worse.

If he flopped the flush too, do you think he would play it like that? I doubt it. That's a massive, suspicous overbet from an opponent who you've noticed being loose with his draws before.

You're also going to have a shot at a massive chip lead, which is great if you're goal is to get to the top money spots.

Do you have anymore details, like the size of the pot, and what spade cards flopped? Wouldn't change too much, but it might explain his bet a bit more.

J.

The4thFilm
10-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I'd call out of turn I'd be so excited.

TStoneMBD
10-06-2004, 09:03 PM
if the player is half decent he may have actually flopped a flush knowing that he was caught pushing allin on a bluff in a previous hand trying to pawn this one off as a bluff too... but since he was capable of such a terrible play in an earlier hand i hardly give him credit for thinking. definite call.

patrick dicaprio
10-06-2004, 09:03 PM
not sure what you want to do here aside from figure out how to get all of your chips in. the first player to act wouldnt go all in off the bat except maybe if he has a straight, which is a thing of beauty for you. are you smewhat vulnerable? sure. do you car? not really, i wouldnt be worried about it and if you lose well thats poker cant win em all.

by the way: BUSH RULES!!!!!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pat

Sam T.
10-06-2004, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by the way: BUSH RULES!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yummy baked beans.

Duece Three
10-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, I called and was sick to see the 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif hit the turn...although it didn't matter.

I too felt like the all-in bet smelled like it was protecting something like an over pair, set, whatever...

That player ended up having A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif...

I wasn't overly upset as I felt at the time that I made the correct decision...however, after thinking about it some more, I started to think that it might not have been worth it, perhaps a more seasoned player would have been able to fold...

I'm back to thinking that I didn't make such a terrible mistake...

Now I'll start kicking muself for thinking that I'm a good enough player to play 5,7 suited in the first place... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all of your insights!

DVO
10-06-2004, 09:35 PM
you don't note the spades that fell, but given the previous hand and the way he played it, he could be playing lots of hands you are ahead of - from a stone bluff to a higher flush draw.

You have a good chance to build a top-3 finish here. I'd take it.