PDA

View Full Version : Unsuited big cards on button

07-25-2001, 05:21 PM
I have a dilemma in knowing what to do when I have unsuited face cards on the button. By this I specifically mean the unsuited hands: A-10, K-J, Q-J, J-10, Q-10, K-10. I know to raise with them if I am on the button and am the first one to call the blinds. I also know to fold them in the same situation if there is a raise and a call ahead of me. My dilemma comes when more than three people call for no raise. Say I have K-J or A-10 on the button, and 5 people call ahead of me. A raise is pointless, as they would just call it anyway after already putting in one bet. I know these hands don't play well in multiway pots (with the possible exception of J-10 and Q-J, but even then I don't think they play to great if they aren't suited), but it seems like giving away too much to fold them for only one bet. Yet I don't want to call and then get into the situation where I flop top pair with mediocre kicker against multiple opponents, and end up paying it off all the way to an expensive second best hand. Is it even worth calling one bet for the rather unlikely possibility of a straight or 2 pair? Flopping a troublesome pair seems much more likely. How do you guys approach this situation? Thanks, Tim

07-25-2001, 05:38 PM
I like calling here on the button. By having last position you can usually avoid getting trapped by a better kicker and you can often pick up pots with a bet or raise.

Typically I will raise with top pair to get it heads up and then either check the turn or check behind on the river depending on the person. Being able to check behind on the river is one of the most important aspects of the button. It allows you to see a hand thorugh cheaply and avoid a lot of trap plays.

You will find that you often get to play heads up against drawing hands in this position and when you have a drawing hand you will almost always know the price you are getting.

The button also diguises your hand a bit in certain situations since you will be putting in a regular raise when you would have check-raised in early position.

You might want to search the archives for a bit, reading Tommy's posts as he has discussed the button situation quite a bit (and would play a lot looser than you (or I) on the button).

Regards,

Paul Talbot

07-26-2001, 11:34 AM
Thanks Talbot, that makes a lot of sense. I can see how if you play it right, you should avoid getting trapped if you are on the button. If my raise to get it heads up on the flop didn't work and someone reraised me, I would definitely fold top pair medium kicker (unless I had a good draw and more than one opponent). Thanks again, Tim

07-26-2001, 04:31 PM
I agree with Talbot here. You can be more liberal on the button because you will often get to close the action and you can play for free cards much more easily. If you hit a pair be sure to raise on the flop to get a feel for whether or not you are beat. I will often raise the flop and check through on the turn (if I am worried about my kicker but not sure but only if there are not too many draws), then prepare to call a bet on the river. Many times I find that people with bad position and a worse kicker will bet into me on the river thinking I am weak.

As a rule, if I do call with KJ, KT, etc., I would way rather see the flop pair my lower card than higher.

KJS

07-26-2001, 08:33 PM
with 5+ limpers I think HPFAP recommends folding hands like A-10 and K-J. As usual, this is probably good advice. In these loose passive games the value of position is greatly diminished. the idea of reverse implied odds would seem to apply in this case and its my experience that you'll just end up getting your top pair sucked out on the river. but I'm unlucky sometimes.