PDA

View Full Version : Do I want an Overcall

toby
10-06-2004, 06:53 PM
Ran into this hand at a loose table, usually 6 or 7 to the flop. Comments inline:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 (poster) folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB folds.
Odd bet here, probably a weak bluff. I figured there would be some overcalls here, so I just called still thinking my hand was best. ***Do I want this?? Retrospect says no, and button at this point is getting 11.25:1 which is okay for the gutshot draw.
River: (12.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 16.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has Jh 5h (two pair, kings and fives).
Hero has Kd Js (three of a kind, kings).
MP3 has Tc Ts (two pair, kings and tens).
Button has 8h 7d (straight, eight high).
Outcome: Button wins 16.25 BB. </font>

I wasn't thinking about odds on this one, and should have raised the turn. The button probably would have called anyway since he called 2 cold in the first place, but at least the raise would have made his call incorrect.

Any other points of view on this (mostly about the overcall thinking)? Thanks

zuluking
10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Fold pre-flop.

Shalara
10-06-2004, 07:23 PM
KJo in early is an auto-muck pre-flop for me. It is easily dominated, and you will be out of position for the rest of the hand, which makes it harder to play. There is a huge advantage to seeing what other people do before you act, which is why you need a stronger hand to call in early than you do anywhere else.

Flop and river are okay.

I would raise the turn though. I would not want to give straight draws proper odds, and the pot is big enough that I would be willing to take it down right now.