PDA

View Full Version : Fun Chem Exam EV Problem

Shilly
10-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I just finished by Chemistry midterm that had a problem that just screamed "EV." There were four different properties, and you had to label them as either extensive or intensive properties (unimportant). I knew that two were extensive and two were intensive, and that each pair was either one or the other. Therefore, the EV looked like this:

1 & 3 Extensive, 2 & 4 Intensive: EV = + or - 4
1,2,3,4 Extensive or Intensive: EV = 0
1 & 3 Intensive, 2 & 4 Extensive: EV = + or - 4

What's my play here? Should I take the safe route and get 50%, or should I gamble? How much does my hunch count for? What was my fun expected value of playing poker all last night instead of studying?

I'll give results later if anyone cares...

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-06-2004, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was my fun expected value of playing poker all last night instead of studying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bez
10-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Play it safe, 50% = pass. Then again, it depends how well you did on the rest of the test. Do you think you needed all 4 marks to pass? If so, gamble.

Shilly
10-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I ended up taking the glory route and tried for all of them correct. I second guessed myself, and switched them all back. I ended up making the disastrous play of getting them all wrong--but I think I got 100% on the rest of the test.

Paul2432
10-06-2004, 10:25 PM
I am curious what the properties in question were. This seems like a pretty easy question. I haven't taken a chemistry class in over 14 years but I am pretty sure I could get this right.

For the uninitiated, extensive means that the magnitude of the property depends on the amount of material present. Mass and volume would be examples of extensive properties.

On the other hand intensive properties do not depend on the amount of material. Density would be an example.

Paul

Shilly
10-07-2004, 01:25 PM
You are exactly right.