PDA

View Full Version : AQo in CO

easypete
10-06-2004, 05:30 PM
<font color="purple">Think I played this one right. Let me know... the stop and go by MP1 through me off a little.

Notes for MP1:
TA-A - PFR 8 - VP 15
AF 2.7 - CCPF 0 - TH 382
WF-R 0
RAISE WITH AQs(3) KJo(2) AKo(2) TT(1) KK(1) AA(1)
</font>

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

<font color="purple">We debated about this earlier this week or late last week. I still stand by 3-betting. I don't like giving it up. Maybe I should have looking at MP1's stats, but I like my AQo. Calling the 3-bet likely means AKo, AQo, JJ, TT, AJo. Unlikely MP1 wouldn't cap w/ AA, KK, or QQ.</font>

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

<font color="purple">Good?</font>

Turn: (7.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

<font color="purple">I was going to call, but figured the likely had here for MP1 was AKo.</font>

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.25 BB, won by MP1.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to MP1.</font>

mikeyvegas
10-06-2004, 05:43 PM
I won't debate, but since you brought up MP1 stats I think this is a fold PF. I play the flop and turn the same.

BigEndian
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Since the villain has a PFR of 8% I like the 3-bet. If we're talking about a 3% PFR then I would agree it would be an auto-fold.

Maybe I'm revealing my calling-station inner-self, but I go to showdown on this one Erik. This player is fully capable of being aware that you are a solid player and could reasonably be betting the scare card.

- Jim

sublime
10-06-2004, 06:20 PM
E-

Fold preflop

This decision should be a rather easy one against a good opponent.

tadams
10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Fold preflop. You have an EP raiser and a caller. You are most likely dominated.

If you could get it heads up against a loose raiser then re-raising may be correct, but you will not be able to here. Fold.

easypete
10-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't know that this is an easy fold pf.

I really do flunk the AQo test. I do like the hand.

In this situation, I've played against MP1 quite a few times during the last couple weeks. He's good. His raising criteria is the same as mine (roughly).

From this spot, I would (and he would) raise with the following hands:

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88 (sometimes), AKs, AKo, AQs, AQo, AJs, AJo, ATs, KQs, KQo, KJs.

I'm ahead of roughly half. And I like AQo. MP2 cold-calling doesn't bother me, he will call 2 cold w/ nothing.

Also, MP1 will fold on the turn to a bet if he feels he's behind. I've been able to push him off hands a few times before.

Grvnhigh
10-06-2004, 06:41 PM
I like the 3 bet, but this is about the bottom range of hands with which you can do this. Your post flop play and hand reading of this player also has to be top notch, or you will definitely be burning chips. In the heat of battle, I may call down, but I can't fathom too many hands that your opponents stop and goes with here that you beat. Ni Han.

me454555
10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm not so much worried about the pfr of 8% I'm more worried about the TA-A description. With a hand like AQ, you are ahead of him sometimes but most of the time, you're going to be behind. Couple that with the fact that this guy probobly plays pretty well postflop and you're in a situation that doesn't look like +EV to me. You have a good hand that can be behind and you're opponent is good enough where you may not be able to extract much value out of him if you end up ahead of him on the flop.

Easy pf fold

sublime
10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
He's good.

"Plan before acting. Fight only when you know you can win"

--- Zhuge Liang

"Good warriors prevail when it is easy to prevail"

---Sun Tzu

cnfuzzd
10-06-2004, 06:52 PM
I am apathetic to the AQ preflop debate. You made the right choice as to how to play it since you decided to not fold. You are also probably correct in the range of hands that he could have.

Flop. Standard.

The turn laydown is a beautiful use of all the information you have on your opponent. Of all the hands you have put him on, you are now behind the vast magority of the time. Good fold. I think if you are willing to make folds like this, playing AQo occasionally against the field is not a bad idea.

However, what if the Turn had been a J, 3, or random heart? Checked to you, bet, and the checkraise pops up?

peace

john nickle

easypete
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra.

I get the point.

easypete
10-06-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, what if the Turn had been a J, 3, or random heart? Checked to you, bet, and the checkraise pops up?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... if he c/r me at any point, I think I would bail.

cnfuzzd
10-06-2004, 10:56 PM
A smart, thinking, observant player will pick up on this. Good thing there arent any of those on party.

peace

john nickle