PDA

View Full Version : Play this hand

transmitt
10-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Tell me what you think of this play, I think the guy made a bad call in (to my dismay)

$50 2 table, 11 people left I have $850 in chips.

10-10 on the blind, and on the button.
First to act raises the blinds to $250 (he earlier called an all-in w/ 44 and beat out an AK)
Folds around, I call, blinds fold
Heads up flop comes 678 rainbow
He checks I go all in $600, he has ~$650 left and calls

He has A-Q offsuit and spikes the Q on the river.

Given his earlier play I was going to stop and go regardless, but the flop gave me 4 more outs (if needed).

rjb03
10-06-2004, 04:47 PM
The size of the blinds are...?

transmitt
10-06-2004, 04:48 PM
BB is $50, sorry.

willie
10-06-2004, 05:49 PM
played it fine, sure the guy made a bad call, but he can beat a lot of the hands you might hold here, which he may be thinking.

aj and kq come to mind as hands that he's ahead of....it's a bad call and you were ahead, but just another bad beat, nothin you can do here.

SmileyEH
10-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Raise all in or fold. What is your plan for the flop if an overcard comes (70% of the time)?

-SmileyEH

poboy
10-06-2004, 09:01 PM
The first mistake you made was calling preflop. I think you either have to push or fold, I don't really like pushing with TT but it's better than calling. I think your best play would have been to fold and wait for a better opportunity. An overcard will fall way too often, I forget the number but it's like 60%+. JMO

ChrisV
10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Stop and go is a bad plan, you need to try and fold this guy's hand. As events proved, people aren't keen to lay down their big aces on the flop. This guy probably wouldn't have laid down preflop anyway, but I think you have a better chance of that happening than of getting such a favourable flop to try and make him fold.

ddubois
10-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Pardon my results-oriented slant, but if this guy isn't folding AQ on a whiffed flop, he sure ain't folding it pre-flop. Why is getting all the money in as a 56:44 favorite better than getting it in as a 77:23 favorite?

EDIT: Just to reiterate, this guy called an all-in with 44; folding a raisable hand is not in his arsenal, so fold equity pre-flop does not exist.

ddubois
10-07-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What is your plan for the flop if an overcard comes (70% of the time)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends on the overcard. What is UTG raising? AA-99, AKs-ATs, AKo-AQo? If this is the range of hands we think villan has, we can't push, we only have 45% pot equity.
Hero's pot equity actually improves versus that range of hands on a J-high flop, and drops only slightly (from about 45 to 40) on a Q-high or K-high flop. With an A-high flop, or two overs, hero can just insta-fold.

Hmm... So how likely are each of:
1) One overcard, ace, no T
2) One overcard, K or Q, no T
3) One overcard, J, no T
4) Two overcards, no T
4) All undercards
5) Set