PDA

View Full Version : Question on Table Selection at 2/4

akh911007
10-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Still looking at possible reasons for my bad start at 2/4, other than the obvious(maybe I suck at poker /images/graemlins/confused.gif). I'm curious as to the average pot size and ASF% that you guys have in pokertracker for 2/4 in the summary tab. I know I have a small sample size, but these figures could still have some meaning even will a smaller sample. With 2500 hands at 2/4, the average pot size is around $32 which is 8 BB and the ASF% is 31, with a PFR of 7%. Is this consistent with "good" tables, or does my table selection just completely suck?

ode
10-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I now have 9,423 hands of $2/4 in PT. ASF% 36.26 and average pot $25.99.

I don't really do much table selection, but I will leave the table if it's extremely tight. Doesn't seem to be too often.

Up 7.69 BB/100 from those 9,423 hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ode

jrobb83
10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Don't worry about running bad for 2500 hands. Even the best player in the world can run extremely bad for than many hands.

It appears like you've been playing in mostly soft games. Regardless table selection at 2/4 isn't all that tough: if the table starts tightening up, leave and find a new table. The 2/4 games are very soft, and a good player should have an excellent winrate even if he is lazy about table selection.

Just keep posting here and make sure you are playing well. If you are playing well, just keep playing and the results will take care of themselves over time.

SomethingClever
10-06-2004, 05:35 PM
31 seems tight. What site do you play on?

akh911007
10-06-2004, 06:23 PM
It's at Party.

Grvnhigh
10-06-2004, 06:32 PM
63k hands
38% ASF
$30 Avg. pot
A 31% ASF seems tighter than normal. I usually look for tables with 7BB or higher pot avg, and look for loose limping and especially loose cold calling. Hope this helps.

akh911007
10-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I know runs happen all the time and they can last a painfully long time. I'm trying to decide if it's a coincidence that it happened when I tried to move up or if its me. Here's a hand that I couldnt decide on. I didnt really have any reads on anyone yet.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

River: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7 BB, between MP2, CO and SB.</font>

I knew there was a chance I had the best hand on the flop, but if I was behind, I most likely wasnt going to catch up. If I actually was ahead, it wouldnt be a big stretch for someone to outdraw me, with 4 players in the hand. I know this is definitely a raise or fold situation, and I chose fold. Is this too weak-tight? From the action on the turn and river, it definitely looked like no one liked their hands, but that's one thing about being directly to the left of the raiser. Any comments?

mikeyvegas
10-06-2004, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Up 7.69 BB/100 from those 9,423 hands /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I really need to put some more time in playing limit. Good stuff.

akh911007
10-06-2004, 06:44 PM
It never occured to me at the time(mainly cause I'm still pretty weak-tight), but what would anyone say to a 3-bet of the SB's preflop raise? With all of the limpers in already would calling 2 more knock anyone out and isolate me against the SB? My only concern is if he's got a monster and I dont want to be isolated, lol. Then I'm in trouble. I'm still trying to figure out where to place my agression.

Grvnhigh
10-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Most players won't raise out of the blinds for value multiway, so a 3 bet is not a good idea. You are also unlikely to knock out anyone but the poster in this hand for 2 more. Your reasoning in the initial post for folding the flop is solid, so don't let results cloud your judgement.

SomethingClever
10-06-2004, 07:06 PM
I don't think an isolation move is going to work preflop on that hand. Too many limpers.

On the flop, the odds of you having the best hand against that field are slim, and you don't have the pot odds to draw to your set, so you can't feel too badly about the fold. Sometimes your two-outer comes on the turn (like it did here) and it's devastating, though.