PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina and Homosexuals

andyfox
10-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Republican senatorial candidate DeMint said he agreed with the state GOP platform that openly gay men and women should not be allowed to teach in public schools in South Carolina.
His opponent has called this view "unAmerican."

What do we think?

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
I visited SC once, found it to be a nice state, but I am white, so I don't know. I do know they were the last state to fly the confederate battle flag above their capital, and that they also have many statues of civil war heroes surrounding their capital building. Not to mention a statue of a young Strom Thurmond. I think that explains it all.

Dynasty
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I think the people of South Carolina aren't going to be influenced by what we think. If anything, resistance from outside the state will only solidify their positions.

Toro
10-06-2004, 04:36 PM
I also visited the State only once. We went to Myrtle Beach for the week but took one day trip to Charleston. It was a very lovely City with many historic buildings. We took a tour of the historic district and if the people showing off all those historic houses weren't putting on an act, they're still fighting the damn Civil War. It was very amusing for my wife and I.

ThaSaltCracka
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah Charleston is one cool city. The sweet tea is very good /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HDPM
10-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Exactly. I spent a week in Columbia and enjoyed my time there. But walking around downtown reading the historical markers was something I wasn't prepared for. Every place some Colonel was killed or a building was burned in the "War of Northern Aggression" had a monument. I looked at the Capitol with the battle flag and the marks from Union cannonballs and was exposed to a side of Civil War history I had never really considered. Different feeling down there.

As for the original question posed by Andy, I think the opponent is in trouble. probably lets his kids masticate at the dinner table.

ChristinaB
10-06-2004, 05:34 PM
I'm all in favor of mastication, as long as its not done sloppily. And you shouldn't be doing it on your couch or in front of your computer - there is a proper place for mastication.