PDA

View Full Version : QQ in big blind: am I too tight?

burningyen
10-06-2004, 03:42 PM
No read on the opponent other than that he has played his strong hands aggressively.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 (t1335)
MP1 (t1040)
MP2 (t1260)
MP3 (t825)
CO (t960)
Button (t930)
SB (t975)
Hero (t960)
UTG (t835)
UTG+1 (t880)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t70</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t170</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to t520</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t700
<font color="green">Main Pot: t350 (t350), won by MP2.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t350 (t350), returned to MP2.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
No showdown. MP2 wins t700. </font>

chill888
10-06-2004, 04:00 PM
You are either too tight or too loose.

Limp and call the 70 is OK (QQ is a small pair) or push - like most of the crowd here will advocate.

But don't get half pregnant and waste a good chunk of chips without even seeing a flop with the 3rd best hand possible.

gl

poboys
10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How true!

[ QUOTE ]

Limp and call the 70 is OK (QQ is a small pair) or push - like most of the crowd here will advocate.

But don't get half pregnant and waste a good chunk of chips without even seeing a flop with the 3rd best hand possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree--you definately don't fold. I don't play at UB, but given the buyin level at PP, I'd push in a heart beat (to the re-raise). Too many people try to "make a move" with low pairs or a mini-raise reraise that it doesn't bother me when they actually do it with AA's or KK's. Unless I have notes about this play that would convince me otherwise--push.

rachelwxm
10-06-2004, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with chill888 here, your post has been most helpful since Jason does not post much and all the other experts like philosophy of poker more than situations study now. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You have to make a desicion before calling 70. If you don't believe he has high pair, call and push in w rags flop is probably a valid option. Otherwise, you shoot for set.

Reraise here does not give you more infomation since he will likely play AK the same way as well as AA or KK.

Spree
10-06-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree you prolly need to either call here or push harder. You basically made the pot for him. Actually I think in this situation your already heads up with him and he raised a 30 dollar pot to 100. So a 150 chip raise is probably not going to be enough to buy this pot. I think calling would have to be the play as your in pretty fair shape right now and theres no reason to put yourself in this situation as your not really in need.

NotMitch
10-06-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Spree
10-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I also have to say that me personally. While I cringe at this early on or from a good position this is probably exactly how I would have played it if I were in need. I would be very happy with the reraise in that circumstance.

chill888
10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gl

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe your "what?" is in reference to me calling QQ a small pair.

A few thoughts:

1. It's a joke!!!
2. QQ is far closer to JJ than KK. It is very susceptible to overcards especially since if you bet the hand and someone calls then at least an A or a K can be feared.

Thus early on ..... or against certain opponents .... it is a great hand to sometimes play cautiously.

I don't mean slow play. I mean take a look at the flop and speed up if no A or K falls.

Do i mean give up on the flop? NO!! A bet into an A or a K is often (usually) warranted. My point is, there is often a far better way to play QQ than just going all-in preflop.

Yes and this rock has folded QQ preflop a few times -- some of them against verifiable AA. e.g. A very good player - that knows you are also a good player - calls UTG and then reraises all in your raise. (That means AA). If the game is early and the stack is healthy it is a no brain fold.

Getting away from this hand is what separates us from the animals.

NotMitch
10-06-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

2. QQ is far closer to JJ than KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, what?

rjb03
10-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Think he's saying if you see a flop with QQ you're likely to see an A or a K...

chill888
10-06-2004, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Again, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KK is a power hand. It's huge. You need a fantastic read to ever fold it. It's batman to AA as superman. The only thing KK fears is AA even Ak is no big deal.

QQ is a very good hand. But against lots of action not only do you have to fear AA or KK but any A or any K.
So KK is played hard (almost) always and more like AA.

QQ is more like JJ. It's a great hand that requires more caution. Of course, OFTEN a push is a no brainer, but it is a far easier hand to go broke on than KK but more similar to JJ - IMHO. This forum is littered with guys that are frsutrated with QQ getting cracked. FAR less so with KK.

Net, QQ is more like JJ than KK. IMHO of course.

CodeWarrior DID NOT approve this post. But I'd like to think that TaxGodess agrees.

gl

burningyen
10-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm still not sure how I will play this in the future, but a weak re-raise will not be an option. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

poboy
10-06-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree , though I never really thought about it that way. Since this is true would it not make sense to play JJ like QQ? I usually limp w/ JJ but raise with QQ, I'm wondering now if perhaps it would be better to raise with JJ and play it the same way I would QQ? Or would I be better off limping my QQ and playing them like JJ?