PDA

View Full Version : moving in with a marginal hand

joao_,martins
10-06-2004, 03:15 PM
i was playing a pokerstars sit n go, 100+9. i have been hitting a long waive of cold cards, but ride it out on my short stack all the way to 4 handed. i am now at 1550 and the BB. UTG comes in for a raise ( 800 on a 100/200 blinds, 25 ante ), but has been playing big stack poker by pushing around almost everyone at the table. the other two remaining players are very loose and are both hoovering around 2000-2500. either way after this UTG raise both of these loose players fold to me. i have Q-10 of diamonds... now i fully understand that this is a marginal hand to move in with but this big stack had been doing a lot of pushing around with a lot of marginal hands that i got see showdowned, as weak j-10off or Axoff. now i realize i cant just call and hope to hit the flop, because i will have then invested over 50 percent of my chips, and i know this player will call my all-in or push me all in, so i have to hit. now i think it through for a while and i am pretty sure im probably a 3-2 dog and will be called if i re-raise all-in. now my question is do all of these circumstances amount to me pretty much having to push it in and take the risk, or do i continue to ride out my waive of bad hands and hope that this big stack takes out one of the loose players? ( i fold to my friend yelling at me " lets wait it out "... but i badly wanted to move it in )
joao

adanthar
10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
If this was QTo, would you call?

Pretend it's still QTo, but add an extra 1/20 to your chance of winning. Do you call now?

PS: Moving in with trash in 100+9's when you have 8xBB and know you will be called is a good way to lose a bunch of money.

chill888
10-06-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this was QTo, would you call?

Pretend it's still QTo, but add an extra 1/20 to your chance of winning. Do you call now?

PS: Moving in with trash in 100+9's when you have 8xBB and know you will be called is a good way to lose a bunch of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO FOLD. Better to raie next hand with 72 (although not much better). Loose table and your stack is at least OK. Relax, breath in, take a moment .. and remember it is better to raise than to call.

Q 10s as a calling hand is NOTHING. Or at leat not much.

Folding this hand is what separates us from the animals.

rjb03
10-06-2004, 03:39 PM
I agree with Chill; I'd rather push with any two in one of the next few hands than call or push here against a raise.

chill888
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Folding this hand is what separates us from the animals.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL good line chill ... sorry rereading my own post and liked it!

rachelwxm
10-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Lol is this becoming your signature?

The Yugoslavian
10-06-2004, 04:50 PM
I think I like it as a signature much better than "Do you see why? I will let others elaborate." /images/graemlins/wink.gif (not that you were saying it was a bad signature, I just couldn't resist)

Of course, one could argue that SNG tournaments on Party Poker bring us closer to the level of an 'animal' -- SNGs bring out the animal instincts in us -- a very 'caveman' type of warfare where it is kill or be killed.

I find SNG tournaments (on PP at least where the blinds go up so quickly) very similar to chess when one player castles on the kingside and one on the queenside -- no time for being fancy shmancy, it's time to go for the throat (or king, or opponents chip stack)!

rachelwxm
10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I have been thinking about my signature for a long time:
intuition is sometimes wrong, but it is what seperate us from machines.
LOL

The Yugoslavian
10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like that signature (assuming you meant to say 'separates' rather than 'seperates.' I don't really post much and have just been content to lurk but maybe I ought to start using one myself. I have no idea what it would be though. Maybe I could sign off posts with something like 'poker is like a swordfight, you must think first before you move.' <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>