PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded PLO

01-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Been playing this game a lot lately, usually 4 handed or less. Often heads up. It's a very wierd game.

Here's some of my thoughts on how it plays. Anyone with more experience or a better brain for this game please give some feedback.

One thing I do is play 3 card hands. In a full ring game, it's a very bad idea to play a hand like KsQsJh2d but when it's only one or two opponents, I play them. I still fold two card hands though unless it's a big pair.

The big pair holds up a little better in shorthanded but you still don't want to go crazy with it. Bet with position until you run into resistance. That's how I've been doing it.

Also, I find you really can steal. I pick up a lot of small pots on the flop and even the turn if the player checks to me from out of position.

One thing I've noticed is that the bluff bet works really well when checked to but the bluff-raise is usually doomed. If my opponent is betting into me he usually has a hand.

My competition has not been very tough though. (Pokerstars.com). Apparently one of the regulars there won a WSOP bracelet but he seems like a pretty bad player to me. This makes me wonder whether or not I have any idea what I'm doing.

One other thing about shorthanded play in omaha is that it just doesn't work to play the non-nuts on later streets, even though you are shorthanded. If you make your queen high flush and get any kind of action, you are still probably beat. If you get check-raised on the river and it looks like there's a possible straight, he's got the straight. If you flopped the nut straight and the board pairs on the river, you can fold to a check-raise.

I haven't played against O'Neil Longson so maybe a tough player can check-raise you on the river when a scare card comes. But so far, even against players who seem ok, I haven't seen it.

Just some random thoughts on shorthanded PLO. Any feedback appreciated.

natedogg

01-06-2002, 01:01 AM
Hey Natedogg,

I'd be very keen to get some of these games running at pokerstars, but anytime i've sat down i'm the only player there.

Apparently there are several bracelet winners at pokerstars from time to time. Also top money pros like Steve Badger frequent the site.

As for how to play though, I can't help as I've never played PL omaha. I want to learn though as PL omaha is one of the few cash games i can actually find live. So if you want some free cash for a while, lets get a game going at pokerstars and you can fleece me.

01-06-2002, 03:18 AM
Been playing this game a lot lately, usually 4 handed or less.

PLO doesn't seem to get real flexible 'til it's down to 3 or 4 handed.

One thing I do is play 3 card hands.

That may be OK. Or even two twocard hands. Top two can be a winner in this game, so an orpan can be of some use if it pairs.

Bet with position until you run into resistance. That's how I've been doing it.

Also, I find you really can steal. I pick up a lot of small pots on the flop and even the turn if the player checks to me from out of position.

Sometimes first to act is the best position. A bet and a call may indicate the caller on a draw. If two spades flop and the turn is red, firing a second barrel takes it. Depends on the players, and I've never played it online.

How many players are left on the River?

01-06-2002, 06:07 AM
If you go to the main page of UB, in the left hand side you'll see a bit of a spiel about Omaha8. If you enter where it says "Click here" Annie Duke announces she is about to post some articles on O8. As a prelude she offers about 15 Omaha starting hands and asks you to rank them from best to worst, or rather, from most playable to never ever play. Check it out. Paul

01-06-2002, 11:51 PM
Her quiz is for Omaha 8 and I believe it's for the limit version. The two games are incredibly different and the starting hand rankings are quite different.

Limit O/8 is mechanical, uninteresting, and straightforward. I'm surprised anyone needs to be told what are the good starting hands for this game. I would prefer to read her thoughts on PLO high only. But they probably don't want to promote that game as much as Omaha/8 limit, given the rake and all. he he.

natedogg