PDA

View Full Version : A 3/6 hand -- looking at different continuations

ElSapo
10-06-2004, 02:01 PM
I've recently begun trying to play more at 3/6 and 5/10, but am having trouble with the agression at times. This is a hand I played today and I wanted comments on it.

But not really on the hand as it happened, but on different ways it could have played. My opponent in the hand is getting short-stacked, with only about 10 BB remaining. He seems weak, cold-calling raises.

Party Poker 3/6 (10 handed)
Hero has J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP2

Hero raises, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop(8 1/3 SB): 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, Button calls, BB calls

If you get raised by MP2 on the flop, do you three-bet? Call and make a decision based on the turn card?

Turn(6 1/6 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, Hero bets...

What do you do here if raised? If raised and everyone else folds? If raised and others call?

ElSapo

bisonbison
10-06-2004, 02:38 PM
On the flop, if raised, I threebet.

On the turn, if raised, I call down.

lil'
10-06-2004, 02:41 PM
If you get raised by MP2 on the flop, do you three-bet?
Yes.

What do you do here if raised?
Call down.

Both are pretty standard answers too. Would you do something differently?

J.R.
10-06-2004, 02:42 PM
My opponent in the hand is getting short-stacked, with only about 10 BB remaining

I don't think stack size is relevant until the opponent gets to the point where they will be able to go all-in in on this street or the next, so I don't think MP2's stack size is really relevant to your play of the hand.

"If you get raised by MP2 on the flop, do you three-bet?"

Proabably, although it depends what the other players do.

"Call and make a decision based on the turn card?"

If both of the other players call, maybe, but I'd lean towards 3-bet.

"What do you do here if raised?"

Who raised?

"If raised and everyone else folds? If raised and others call?"

The more people who call, the less I would feel I 1) was ahead and 2) my outs were clean. I'd be less inclined to call down if raised by MP2 and called in 2 spots. On the other hand, if the button is very aggressive postflop, raises, and no one else calls, I'd be more inclined to call down.

ElSapo
10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
I agree that it seems pretty standard - I suppose I asked because my opponent played it so differently than I would have.

He showed down K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif - I probably would have raised the flop, and most definitely the turn -- and if I raised the flop and was three-bet, I might raise the turn as well after the queen lands.

I'm surprised at everyone saying call down, however, on the turn raise. Turn raises in my experience usually mean the real thing but then again perhaps this is only at 2/4 and this is different at 3/6 with increased agression.

That last paragraph was supposed to be a question.

ElSapo

J.R.
10-06-2004, 03:23 PM
"I'm surprised at everyone saying call down, however, on the turn raise."

I think always calling down as a default when raised on the turn in this spot is a decent sized leak, and I don't think everyone said to call down. Assuming MP2 raised the turn, I don't often find players who are habitual preflop coldcallers bluff raising the turn (no floaters in 3-6), even more so with two players to act behind them on a coordianted board with cards in the playing zone.

If everyone else folds you are putting in 2 more bets to win 9 with a chance to improve, which is a much closer spot, but I will say there are plenty of players against whom I would not call down against, and a bit aginst whom I would, but I would nearly always call the turn raise headsup.

JimRivett
10-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Turn raises in my experience usually mean the real thing but then again perhaps this is only at 2/4 and this is different at 3/6 with increased agression.

My feeling here is this, you give up much more by not calling a turn raise, or check raise, on-line than you do when playing live. Now the above statement is based on the premise that have something more that ace high, no draw.

Regards, Jim

ElSapo
10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming MP2 raised the turn, I don't often find players who are habitual preflop coldcallers bluff raising the turn (no floaters in 3-6),

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think you're right about the correlation between the cold-call and the turn-raise. It's likely to be a hand.

No floaters = ?

Funny, I've thought the hand through enough times that now I feel like he did raise the turn and I just can't remember what I did.

ElSapo

J.R.
10-06-2004, 03:56 PM
floater description (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mediumholdem&Number=864472 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bfloater&Searchpage=0&Li mit=100&Main=863691&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name =&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&old ertype=&bodyprev=#Post864472)

I just think its a pretty humorous term, but I waste far too much time with this board.