PDA

View Full Version : Overagressive?

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 12:28 PM
$10+1 SNG at Pokerroom.

6 Left, blinds are 50/100. I am second in chips with about 3300. UTG is 5th in chips with 1200.

UTG raises to 250. I have played with him before, and was pretty sure he is on High Cards, but not a pocket Pair. Folded to me in the CO, and I have 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I decide I want to play this heads up, thinking he might fold, and if not it's a coin flip for his chips. I push all in. Button, SB, and BB all Fold.

Good Move? or too aggresive?

Does anyone want to know results?

rjb03
10-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Put him all in, not yourself. You don't want the button, sb, or bb to call if they have decent stacks because you'll likely be drawing thin. It all depends on if you think the chips you gain will be worth the gamble. How do you figure he is on high cards and not a pp?

binions
10-06-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Put him all in, not yourself. You don't want the button, sb, or bb to call if they have decent stacks because you'll likely be drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, when you raise it just enough to put the raiser all-in, you signal to the remaining opponents you have a hand that you think can knock the raiser out. A lot of times, people fold halfway decent hands when they think someone is about to be eliminated. This is especially true on the bubble.

chill888
10-06-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$10+1 SNG at Pokerroom.

6 Left, blinds are 50/100. I am second in chips with about 3300. UTG is 5th in chips with 1200.

UTG raises to 250. I have played with him before, and was pretty sure he is on High Cards, but not a pocket Pair. Folded to me in the CO, and I have 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I decide I want to play this heads up, thinking he might fold, and if not it's a coin flip for his chips. I push all in. Button, SB, and BB all Fold.

Good Move? or too aggresive?

Does anyone want to know results?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is OK (not great) IF AND ONLY IF there is no one else to act except you and the guy with one third of your stack.

Risking your whole (and very healthy) stack with a couple of guys behind you (who could have anything) is crazy.

Reasonable bets!

gl

chill888
10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Put him all in, not yourself. You don't want the button, sb, or bb to call if they have decent stacks because you'll likely be drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus, when you raise it just enough to put the raiser all-in, you signal to the remaining opponents you have a hand that you think can knock the raiser out. A lot of times, people fold halfway decent hands when they think someone is about to be eliminated. This is especially true on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: the last two posters have advocated betting one third of their big stack with 66 .. what is their recommendation if someone behind them raises?

this hand screams for a smaller raise or a fold IMHO.

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you figure he is on high cards and not a pp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on a good read on the player. I have sat with him in quite a few SnG's and for a long time at a recent MTT. Based on what I knew about him, and his early actions I had notes on this smelled like 2 high cards.

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
[quote

Question: the last two posters have advocated betting one third of their big stack with 66 .. what is their recommendation if someone behind them raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my thoughts, and why I didn't raise smaller, or just move him all in.

As you stated, if I bet 1/3 of my stack, am I going to fold to a re-raise?

The table was playing tight, so minus someone having AA,KK, or maybe AK or AQ I was pretty sure I would get folds here with my push.

If I raised smaller, I would have to raise to at least 400. Now I might be inviting others in to the pot.

Even if it's still heads up, and he pushes on the flop with only 1 face card, do I push or fold?

I agree I could have folded here, but thought I had a small edge I could exploit.

willie
10-06-2004, 01:28 PM
results please sir.

luvrhino
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Agreed. Also, you need to figure that UTG is liable to fold. A coin flip is not good, since the chips you stand to gain aren't worth as much as the chips you stand to lose. With a 2.5BB bet, i wouldn't count on him folding.

IOW, i fold and wait for a better hand before getting crazy.

luvrhino
10-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Calling is also good, hoping you spike a 6. If everyone else folds and it gets checked to you on the flop, than a smallish bet would be good to see if you can take down the pot then and there.

Actually, that's what i'd do.

wjmooner
10-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Raise to 800 then. He's pot committed anyway, and you aren't if one of the other guys wakes up with a monster. He'll push anyway, and if not you can push on any flop.

Unless the flop is AKQ I suppose given your read /images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

C

rjb03
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the size of the others' stacks. Folding could be an option if he would still be in good chip position, but it's unlikely a stack that can cover him or nearly do so will push when he already seemed to pot commit himself without a hand that the poster will be drawing to two outs. I hardly ever commit one third of my stack without a push and would probably not here. I would likely just call or reraise an amount that would commit him, not me, but the poster wanted to move in. If I wanted to get heads up, I would put him in but not push myself begging to get reraised by a monster.

Sam T.
10-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to get this heads up? I don't hear a lot of people arguing for a cold-call here, but I think it is a reasonable play. Your stack is deep enough to do this, and if you flop a set, extra customers would be a great thing to have.

If you want to play this fast, you can have a look at the flop, and if it's ragged, push in then.

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 02:39 PM
UTG Folds.

Hero Picks up 400 chips.

Solitare
10-06-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on a good read on the player. I have sat with him in quite a few SnG's and for a long time at a recent MTT. Based on what I knew about him, and his early actions I had notes on this smelled like 2 high cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a situation where statistics may be trumping your reading & note taking ability. There is a higher probability of seeing two different cards than a pair. For instance, there are 6 ways of seeing AA but 16 ways of seeing AK. Your notes may only be "reading" the greater statistical probability of seeing two high cards over a pair rather than the player's individual playing habits.

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a situation where statistics may be trumping your reading & note taking ability. There is a higher probability of seeing two different cards than a pair. For instance, there are 6 ways of seeing AA but 16 ways of seeing AK. Your notes may only be "reading" the greater statistical probability of seeing two high cards over a pair rather than the player's individual playing habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are my notes on the player: Tends to push big with any PP from early position. Likes to raise small with big cards, suited connectors.

No notes are perfect, but you gotta go with what you have.