PDA

View Full Version : Trusting your reads...

01-02-2002, 06:46 AM
A couple of hands for your amusement (?). All are from UB NL and PL games.

1) 0.1/0.25 NL. Overaggressive and loose player limps in MP. Late pos player raises to 1$. I'm semitilted and call in the SB with QJo. Flop is Q84, twotone. I check, overaggressive overbets the pot. Late pos folds. I start to ponder. I'm quite sure that he wouldn't limp in with AQ or KQ. He would probably even raise QJ. He would probably raise any pair. So unless he has hit some miracle twopair my kicker is good. He might have a flush draw. I call, planning to bet all in on the turn unless a flush card hits. The turn is a brick, I bet all in and bust his Q3o!

2) 0.1/0.25 NL. UTG raises to 1$, it's folded to SB who calls, I have Ah Qh and call. Tricky spot with AQ vs an utg raiser. Flop is A95 rainbow, SB checks, I fire the pot. UTG folds. SB checkraises me the same amount. Now I start to think. He might have 99 or 55. He would certainly reraise UTG with AA and he would probably reraise with AK. His likely hands are AQo/AQs/AJs/ATs. He might have A9s or A5s. I call. Turn is a brick, SB bets all in. I pray my read is correct and call. Sure enough, he shows me AJs and I bust him.

3) 0.5/1 PL. I'm in the BB with 45o. 3 limpers, SB calls, I check. flop 854 rainbow. I notice that SB pauses for 2 seconds, a warning flag is raised in my mind. He checks, I throw caution to the wind and fire the pot. limpers fold SB calls. Warning flag nr 2 is raised. Turn is a brick. SB checks. I fire the pot again. He checkraises me the same amount, warning flag nr 3. I call. River is another brick. He fires about half the pot the river. I stupidly call and loose a big pot to his 76o.

Maybe someday I'll build enough confidence to always trust my reads.

Sincerely, Andreas

01-03-2002, 02:18 PM
Good reads.

I had a similar AQ vs AJ read. I was in the blind and the AJ limped on the button. My history of the player was the player would raise with AK and most pairs. I figured we were either tied or I was slightly ahead.

The key to the believing your reads is knowing the players. Against unknown players who will limp with AA one can get in real trouble. I hate pushing top pair or even two pair to find some passive player calling or check/calling with a set.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com