PDA

View Full Version : More terminology questions - "Large Caps" tourney and "Kill Game"

Peter Harris
10-06-2004, 10:23 AM
As the thread title infers, i have no idea what makes a "Large Caps" NL tourney different to a normal NL tourney.

Also, "Kill Games". These are limit, right? so what makes them different from standard limit games like 3/6, 4/8 etc. etc.??

Just a couple of things that were tickling me. Last week i was wondering if "Hectoring" came from "Hector" from the Iliad. Thought i'd switch my musing to poker etymology.

Thanks in advance,
Pete Harris

ArchAngel71857
10-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Kill games: In a Kill Game, if a player wins two pots in a row (sometimes it has to be a certain minimum size, like 5 BBs), then it becomes a "kill game." The stakes are doubled. So if we are playing 5/10 kill, and I win two pots of over 50 bucks in a row, then the stakes become 10/20. I also have to post a BB regardless of position. The game remains 10/20 until i don't win a pot. In a 1/2 kill game, the stakes are only raised by half. So say 2/4 half kill, instead of going to 4/8, it goes to 3/6.

Large Caps: I have no earthly idea.

-AA

B Dids
10-06-2004, 03:38 PM
People have emailed Party, and the "Large Caps" tournament is just a regular tournament with a different name. That's the best answer they had.

Peter Harris
10-06-2004, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People have emailed Party, and the "Large Caps" tournament is just a regular tournament with a different name. That's the best answer they had

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid people. Marx wrote stuff on how ruling classes use mystifying language in order to continue exploiting the proletariat in order to gain surplus value. Maybe Party are mystifying tournament names in an attempt to gain more rake.

Ha! sorry, got Marx on the brain, i have to read a structural Marxist ethnography for tomorrow and am rightly procrastinating.

Thanks for the replies!

Regards,
Pete Harris

ArchAngel71857
10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People have emailed Party, and the "Large Caps" tournament is just a regular tournament with a different name. That's the best answer they had

[/ QUOTE ]

stupid people. Marx wrote stuff on how ruling classes use mystifying language in order to continue exploiting the proletariat in order to gain surplus value. Maybe Party are mystifying tournament names in an attempt to gain more rake.

Ha! sorry, got Marx on the brain, i have to read a structural Marxist ethnography for tomorrow and am rightly procrastinating.

Thanks for the replies!

Regards,
Pete Harris

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, commie.

-AA

madmisha
10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
In a kill game do the blinds double, meaing after someone wins two pots in a row, the next person to pay the big blind would pay double the standard big blind?

Thanks

pokerkai
10-07-2004, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a kill game do the blinds double, meaing after someone wins two pots in a row, the next person to pay the big blind would pay double the standard big blind?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

blinds are posted at the normal level, but the person that initiated the kill by winning twice, has to post a blind the size of the SB of the new level

there could be different structures but thats what im familiar with

jedi
10-07-2004, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kill games: In a Kill Game, if a player wins two pots in a row (sometimes it has to be a certain minimum size, like 5 BBs), then it becomes a "kill game." The stakes are doubled. So if we are playing 5/10 kill, and I win two pots of over 50 bucks in a row, then the stakes become 10/20. I also have to post a BB regardless of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you'd probably have to post a "Kill Blind" instead of a BB. The other blinds are posted as normal for a 5/10 game, so you might see a SB of 2, a BB of 5 and a Kill Blind of 10.

Depending on the rules of the cardroom, the kill blind can raise (or check) either in turn, or after the big blind has acted.

For Omaha/8 a Kill is usually in effect if someone scoops a pot of a certain size.