PDA

View Full Version : Which college math course would best help my poker game?

ThePopinjay
10-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Insights please. I know all the basic probability stuff, but nothing advanced like bayesian theorem/game theory or whatever.

1800GAMBLER
10-06-2004, 05:57 AM
Eventually i do game theory in numbers and proofs module this year.

Stats atm is very basic but eventually going back to normal dist. should help my understanding.

Then in my 4th year i can take a gambling theory module, if i last that long.

I think numbers and proofs will be the most helpful because of all the logic skills used.

jgorham
10-06-2004, 06:46 AM
Not too many math classes are really gonna help your poker skills. I found basic game theory to be a great exercise though - the logic deductions you are forced to make can equate directly to your poker game. Of course it isn't necessary to understand game theory to play poker, but I think you would find it the most helpful general exercise.

fsuplayer
10-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Which college math course would best help my poker game?

the ones you dont have to go to.

fnord_too
10-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Well, I'd say take classes that involve a lot of proofs if you haven't. The thought process they require may help you with hand reading.

Other than prob/stat, no class is going to directly help your game imo, and even a thorough understanding of prob/stat will probably help you less than reading the hand discussions that go on here.

Any math class, however, I think will indirectly help if only by exercizing and developing the mathematical/logical part of your intelect.

If there is a decision making under uncertainty class (may be in business, not math) that is good to have. If you have the option, I'd recomend taking the graduate version.

Graph theory is fun. Combinatorics is good (though closely related to probability, so you may have already had it.) Game theory if it is offered is very cool stuff. A good programming class would also be good to take if you haven't had much coding experience.

Bayes theory and Bayesian Statistical Inference would probably fall under a course like "quantitative methods".

Or you could take a writing course so your posts flow better than mine /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

sthief09
10-06-2004, 10:43 AM
stochastic models

Metabeing
10-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Like everyone has mentioned, most courses aren't going to help your skill, but game theory will help you visualize the actual problem at hand. Combinatorics would probably help--it usually has graph theory as a pre-req.

If you like, venture into AI, courses that focus on bayesian belief networks specifically also VC dimensions, can help you quantify the decision problems with the imperfect data that poker provides. Any futher into AI (pattern recognition, etc) and you are getting into methods that require way too much computation to be viable at a poker table by a human player.

Meta:

namknils
10-06-2004, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which college math course would best help my poker game?

the ones you dont have to go to.

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding ding ding

kgrad5
10-06-2004, 12:34 PM
a course in counting..

easypete
10-06-2004, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a course in counting..

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about the advanced stuff, like addition, subtraction, and that multiplication/division stuff?

kgrad5
10-06-2004, 01:04 PM
/images/graemlins/wink.gif a course on counting isnt about counting small numbers, its about counting the number of different ways to do something and stuff like that. for example, how many different ways can you make a flush? thats a counting problem. or prove that in every five cards there has to be atleast 2 of 1 suit (direct pigeon hole principle). it has lots of applications to poker.

bunky9590
10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Statistics 101

Cleveland Guy
10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Economics 101 - Law of Supply and Demand

Pyschology 101 - What makes people act the way they do

Stats 101- Basic probability

Blarg
10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But on the other hand... put a LAG on a table full of weak-tight-passive players, and I think the LAG could take all their money

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you can be wrong about everything, like economists famously are.

[ QUOTE ]
Pyschology 101 - What makes people act the way they do

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you can be right about everything, like people who have just taken their first psychology class famously are.

AQheartbreak
10-06-2004, 01:52 PM
How about psychology classes? I am interested myself.

threeonefour
10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
bayes theorum is covered in the first half of any self respecting intro stat course. so if thats too advanced you might be out of luck...

i would suggest probability theory, combinatorics, a mid level econ class (economics can teach you a lot about costs in poker; oppurtunity costs, sunk costs etc) or a vanilla statistical analysis class would be fine as well.

oh yea, accounting might be a good class too. its not really a math class and i haven't taken many accounting classes but i would think it would help with your money management which is half the battle in poker.

doughhater
10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Folding 101

Moozh
10-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I'd strongly consider looking into Advanced Fourier and Topology. They should be interesting classes that help you learn how to divide small numbers by 46 and 47.

BeerMoney
10-06-2004, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stochastic models

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this suggestion more than any other. However, it would be a pretty tough class for most. But, then again, so isn't poker.

Vannek
10-06-2004, 04:43 PM
amazon.com

lefty rosen
10-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Just for basic understanding of draw percentages and pot odds grade 9 honours math. For standard deviation I would say 1st year university stats. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

BeerMoney
10-06-2004, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
amazon.com

[/ QUOTE ]

???????

Stork
10-06-2004, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a course in counting..

[/ QUOTE ]

But what about the advanced stuff, like addition, subtraction, and that multiplication/division stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, you just divided right there!

jdl22
10-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Real Analysis and it's not close. It's the best course available for learning how to think.