PDA

View Full Version : Struggling in the Mid Section

daveymck
10-06-2004, 04:53 AM
I have now got a general strategy that I feel happy with for the first hour of play in MTT's, pretty much very tight but agressive. This has generally meant I get to the second hour (on party) at between 2000-5000 chips.

However the second hour I am really struggling I still seem to be playing too tight but I am not really seeing opportunities to make a move. I think in essence I dont seem to be able to change gears. I have read emarks excellent post on overall strategy and do steal the blinds say once a round but that isnt really moving me forward, it leaves me struggling near bubble time and generally I either scrape into the money or go out on a unsuccessfull blind steal when I am in fold or push mode.

The good players as I see it seemt to be able to build their stacks picking up small pots here and there as well as picking on smaller stacks etc, however they seem to do some limping I very rarely limp in the middle stages I am always looking to open raise which could be part of the problem.

So some general guidance what sort of hands should I look to limp with, what sort of hands and opportunities should I be looking at to increase my stack in the midsection of tournaments.

I realise its a general question but looking for general ideas to try and open my tight mind.

daveymck
10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
one bump for luck.

woodguy
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Check out the links that Sam T posted on the link below.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/remlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=41353&F_Board=tourn&Threa d=1086778&Main=1086701

Regards,
Woodguy

SossMan
10-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Couple of things.

Restealing from the blinds is pretty effective in these stages. If a loose LP raiser opens for 3x, and you resteal, that's two and a half more rounds of blinds w/ a tighter image.

Punishing MP/LP limpers w/ position and a hand that is unlikely to be dominated, but isn't usually worth a raise (AJ, KQ etc...)

Semibluffing at scare cards in big pots. The later it gets, the more people have invested, and the more likely they are to make a bad fold. Use this against them just like you use the fact that they call to much and go to far with their hands early.

I don't mind limping behind a limper or two in MP/LP w/ a marginal hand like 97s or QT/KJ.

All of this advice is pretty dependent on stack depth and image. That's why, for the most part, the only plan I have is to not have a plan. I let the cards/stack dictate my image, and therefore my "plan".

hope this helps

-sossman