PDA

View Full Version : Raise the river?

Fnord
10-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Opponents are loose/passive

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Fnord is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Fnord raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Fnord 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Fnord bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Fnord raises...</font>
Final Pot: 16.50 BB

ScottyDon't
10-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Without hesitation raise the river. You said it yourself that the game is loose/passive. The wider the range of hands your opponents are likely to have, the more likely you should be to call/raise. The river card is a bit scary, but only minimally. AJ beats you, but it's unlikely that they would have this hand. The SB would be suspect of having this hand, probably not the BB. Top two pair with no flush possibilities is just WAY too strong to miss an opportunity to raise. Push in the extra raise knowing you're probably best. If they 3 bet you, just call and take the hit.

lil'
10-06-2004, 08:59 AM
I'll call. Tell me what a pansy I am.

Smasharoo
10-06-2004, 09:13 AM
Just call it's AJh what else could he have that he calls the three bet on the flop then comes alive on the river?

Fnord
10-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Any guidelines for when these guys come alive like this?

lil'
10-06-2004, 10:11 AM
My reasoning for calling was that he came alive on the river with a very scary looking board and you have shown a lot of aggression. Also, you describe him as "loose pasive."

If you raise and are right, you may gain a BB, if you are wrong you will lose two, and the way the hand played out here, I think calling is best in the long run.

Smasharoo
10-06-2004, 10:57 AM
What was the result, anyway?

TripleH68
10-06-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just call it's AJh what else could he have that he calls the three bet on the flop then comes alive on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif makes two pair on the river. A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif makes straight on the river.
Any other hand played this way makes no sense.
I want to raise, but it could be a win one bet or lose two bets proposition...if SB has the nuts.

Fnord
10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
He 3-bet, I cursed "no f'n way you played AJ like that". He had AJ for the nuts.

I also should have mentioned that he paused before calling 2 more on the flop.