PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling standards

runa
10-06-2004, 02:54 AM
I'm still very new to SH and wanted to know what cold-calling standards are good (I'm starting at 1/2 Empire). I just finished reading SSH and it mentions that you should very rarely cold-call, and even then with nothing less than premium hands or suited royal aces.

In any case, shorthanded play seems to dictate loosening up on raising standards, modifying PF hand selection, but I haven't seen too much mentioned regarding cold-calling standards. Does anyone have any ideas on this topic?

Scotch78
10-06-2004, 03:17 AM
You won't find many cold-calls in this forum. We tend to fire back or go do laundry.

Scott

jasonHoldEm
10-06-2004, 03:40 AM
I've actually started using the abbreviation "HCC" in my notes (Habitual Cold Caller). I /images/graemlins/heart.gif these players.

J

Peter_rus
10-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Standarts can be only for "raise first in". Any cold-calls, 3bets, raise after limp are player oriented. If i face reasonable UTG raise (11-13% of raising UTG) i can cold call with KJs,KQs,AJo(s) (rare usually 3-bet),ATs, KQo hoping it will be 3-way and i hit the flop. Very rare i cold call pairs from 55 to 88 but usually i 3-bet them.

spider
10-06-2004, 10:18 AM
The short answer for someone just starting out is "Don't cold-call". If your hand is not good enough to 3-bet, the edge (if any) you are giving up by folding is going to be small, and the times it is correct to cold-call are so infrequent that your long run EV loss would be tiny.

If you are just starting out, spend your time working out your open-raising standards and BB calling standards. And with some searching here you can find lots of those types of posts.

tripdad
10-06-2004, 02:54 PM
if i'm having a rough night, i sometimes cold call with AA to try to win a big pot. other than that, cold calling is not something i am accustomed to. maybe KJs or KQo if i'm feeling frisky. otherwise it's 3-bet or muck. any PP i want to play is a 3-bet, and i usually muck 22-66 unless there is a CC between me and raisor. i think i've cold called .02% of the time i've faced a raise(from memory...could be wrong).

cheers!