PDA

View Full Version : UB - how not to play AA

12-26-2001, 03:17 PM
Here is a hand I witnessed last night playing .10-.25 NL. I thought it was interesting and shows how someone can really screw up AA.

Hero has AA (red). Pre-flop there are no raises. 6 players see the flop.

Flop Js6s3s.

SB checks. BB checks. UTG bets $1.50. AA Raises $5. Folded to SB. SB calls. UTG re-raises $22 all-in. AA calls. SB calls.

Turn is Td.

SB bets $17 all-in. AA calls.

River is 6d.

Now I am sitting on the sidelines deciding what these players have. I figured UTG had a made flush. It was either Kx or Ax. I thought SB and AA both had a big spade.

Hand ends. SB shows 9s3s. UTG shows AsQs.

AA loses $40 bucks on a hand he was destined to lose. He should have raised pre-flop which should have lost the SB although UTG would not have folded. On the flop I have no problem with the raise but once it is re-raised dump the hand.

The hero seemed to be a decent player but like many players get crazy with AA.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

12-26-2001, 06:35 PM
What position was AA in? In the first few seats i will frequently limp reraise with AA preflop if there are aggressive players in mid-late position.

But after a reraise on that flop AA must throw away his cards. If he had a pair of aces with the As in it i would favour moving allin.

12-26-2001, 07:17 PM
He would have been in mid position. Maybe 2 or 3 after UTG. The limp re-raise is a viable option but after a few limpers I see less reason for it.

Havn't seen you at the tables for a bit. Was that your christmas present to the rest of us, not taking our money /images/smile.gif

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

12-26-2001, 08:32 PM
Ken,

With six players seeing a trouble flop, I would fold this hand to any bet almost always on the flop with that many players. If the players were very loose I might call the first bet, but fold to a reraise.

Good Luck

Mark

12-26-2001, 10:18 PM
Yeah folding is probably not the worst thing in the world although it would depend on how many players call a reasonable size bet before it got to me.

Since I would have raised pre-flop I would likely only have 2 callers so I might raise the flop and fold to the re-raise.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

12-26-2001, 10:54 PM
Ken,

While I agree that the holder of those lovely

aces was going to buy the farm with that flop, I

can't agree with your assessment of the pre-flop

limp.In many cases, I'd prefer to play 'second hand low', hoping for a late raise, so I could then three-bet the pot and put it to everyone.The

raise by me isn't going to lose many people, unless I overbet the pot.

From my experience of playing no- limit at UB, many of those players pay little attention to anything but their own cards- you'll have to show them a hand.Lo, but to find them at the WSOP when I play there one day!!!

This player shouldn't have lost $40, though;

the time to get away from this one was when he was re- raised.With six players, someone must have a piece of that flop.

perfidious

12-27-2001, 12:42 AM
Been playing more at pokerstars. Good tournaments there, plus i won a 500 player freeroll that paid $50, and i'm closing on a grand from that now. Also UB playing so slow since the upgrade i get frustrated.

12-27-2001, 12:45 AM
I will have to try pokerstars but I hate having money in too many places.

Now that Cajun is back, tonight looks to be good!

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

12-28-2001, 01:59 AM
Have you been keeping track of the answers in the poker diary that they sent regulars? It seems that with only a few hundred regulars the odds are pretty favorable on the big even buyin for 10 grand - I will play my 2 hours a week until the promotion is over and then be done with them (although I love the miniview option -wish every site had it)