PDA

View Full Version : Trying to evaluate success on 5/10 - need advice

HackerJack
10-06-2004, 01:02 AM
I am a new student to poker. I am studying the book Small Stakes Hold'em (read it 1 1/2 times so far). I have read Advanced Hold'em and realized a.) I was not that advanced and b.) I was playing in games where my play was not respected (e.g small stakes with loose or wild players).

I am very tight agressive and now love online loose agressive games with high pots. I am cautious after the flop for draws and only made two real errors in play (I think).

I am in play money now (having taken a small beating before studying), but intend to break over to .25/.50 if I think I can be successful. I intend to start with $50.00 (100 BB) unless someone tells me different.

To make it easy on myself, I always enter with $1,000. I played a total of three and a half hours straight tonight. First hour: 1 game, 2nd hour: 2 games, 3rd hour: 3 games and the last half hour: 4 games. Interestingly enough, I played much better with more games (since I am so tight, I get bored). At the end of 3 1/2 hours, here is my breakdown per room: $473 (both of the errors came in this room with $700+ pots), $1316, $1,514, $1,543 for a total of $4,847 or approximately 85 BB over 3 1/2 hours or an average of 24+ BB per hour. Is this good, bad, or what? I know I need hundreds of hours of more play, but I really have studied quite a bit, plus some simulator, live play and lots of self-dealt test hands. I just have no guage what is good at this level and with play money. I KNOW is will be harder with real money.

Thanks for any help.

Ponks
10-06-2004, 01:13 AM
Your sample size is too small and it's play money anyways, no one cares there.

Since this sounds like money you don't want to lose why dont you try out the .05/.10 games? (I think they have those). Then you can build up from there.

Ponks