PDA

View Full Version : Calculator and Pot Odds Sheet at the Table

Tom22
10-05-2004, 10:58 PM
When I play online I use a calculator and a pot odds sheet to help in my decision process. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen someone use these tool in a live poker table. Would it be illegal or just not the norm? Any thoughts?

Mons
10-05-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't think it's illegal but I wouldn't recommend it. I think it would give your opponents an advantage every time you glanced at the sheet or put some numbers into a calculator.

TomCollins
10-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Wow, seriously dude, step away from the calculator. If you can't beat the game you are playing live without a calculator, I don't know how you would. If you are remotely close on the pot odds from memory, you can't be doing that bad. If I saw someone using a sheet or calculator, I would think they were the biggest tool ever. And I would know they are easy money. Plus, it would cause the friendly players to play more serious against you. Replace your calculator with a beer and you are in business.

Caduca
10-07-2004, 04:56 AM
If you haven't thought of it, you might try approximating assuming there are 48 or 49 cards left. Easy to divide by almost any likely number of outs. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

highlife
10-07-2004, 11:02 AM
i've seen someone use a pot odds cheat sheet at the table. the problem with this is it seems to make the bad players (LP usually) play better, they see you putting alot of thought into a decision and they start to think themselves. it can also intimidate them and cause them to leave. Just memorize the table or learn to approximate in your head, its really not that hard.

As far as a calculator, most card rooms wouldnt allow this. And those that would, the players would most likely laugh you off the table.

Tom22
10-07-2004, 06:28 PM
okay, I didn't ask the question in anticipation that I was going to try it. Just wanted to know if anyone saw someone using a pot odds sheet or calculator in a B&M and what was the reaction? I see people bring a basic strategy card to the blackjack table before that was what made me think of the question.

pokerjo22
10-08-2004, 06:13 PM
If its so close you need a calculator, half the time assume you've got the odds, and half the time assume you haven't.

Hope that helps.

DonkeyKong
10-10-2004, 01:30 AM
If the pot is big and you have anything, call. If the pot is small and you've got nothing, fold. If you see somebody using a calculator and odds sheet, kick his a_ss.

phixxx
10-10-2004, 03:02 AM
I've seen Johnny Chan and Daniel N. reading small booklets of paper on tv, could this be what they're reading?

daryn
10-10-2004, 03:48 AM
honestly you should be embarrassed for using that stuff even in front of your computer.

AllVegasPoker.com
10-10-2004, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen someone use these tool in a live poker table

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never seen anyone use an electronic calculator at any table in Vegas. However, I have seen a few people use pot odds sheets. In fact, when I first started playing poker I had my own pot odds cheat sheet that I looked at until I memorized the numbers. I've never seen anyone asked by the room management to put a cheat sheet away.