PDA

View Full Version : Suited rags in the BB.

12-17-2001, 02:14 PM
UB 0.1$/0.25$ NL game.

I'm in the BB and find 8s 3s. 5 players limp in. I check. 1.5$ pot.

Flop: As 2s 6h

SB checks, I check, 2 more checks and LP player bets the pot. LP is fairly aggressive and likes to pick up pots. It's folded to me. I'm a bit worried about a bigger flushdraw but call anyway. The rest folds. 4.5$ pot.

Turn: (8d) As 2s 6h

I picked up a middle pair, ok card for me but I'm still a bit concerned about drawing dead vs. a bigger flush. But if he's drawing I have him beat. I check, and he checks behind.

River: (9s) 8d As 2s 6h

Ok, I've made my flush but will it be good. I check, and he fires 5$ at the pot. Tricky spot. I call. He shows Jd 4d and I take the pot.

How should I play weak flushdraws like this one? Just fold the flop? Get aggressive? I just don't like hands that are nowhere close to the nuts.

Sincerely, Andreas

12-17-2001, 03:00 PM
With a rags flush draw and 6 players in the hand I would check the flop. For 1.50 I would most likely call the bet but hope someone else would also come in. Folding is also reasonable if you don't think anyone else is going to call since as you say you are not drawing to the nuts.

I would also check the turn. Against only 1 player if he bets I am not paying much. Although you did hit a pair.

On the river I might bet out for 3.00 or so. The fact that he checked the turn makes it slightly more likely he also has a flush. But based on his position his flop bet was most likely trying to pickup the pot. If you get raised then you need to decide if you want to pay him off. I would most likely pay off a small raise (5.00 or less).

Ken Poklitar

12-18-2001, 04:32 PM
I would play it the way Andreas played it, especially against an aggressive player who likes to pick up pots.

If he has the flush, you lose the minimum on the river, if he bluffs at it, you win the max. Bet the river only, if you think he will pay you off with a worse hand, and not raise you with it. If you bet and get raised, you have a tough call.

I really like check calling the river. He might bet a decent hand again, or bluff.

I also do not agree with Ken on having another player call the flop bet. There are no other draws out there, so if your flush comes, you really do not know if it is good. Consider the following scenario: same hands, same turn, same river, you have the flush, but one other player is between you and the button bettor. he also checks. Now, the button is less likely to bluff, facing more than one opponent. If he checks, you donīt make any money, although your draw came. If he bets you have one player behind you who might raise when you call. That might mean he has you beat, or if he is really good he might make you lay down a low flush...

heads up against the aggressive button, I am much more confident, that the flush is good.

Just my thoughts.

By the way, Ken, I do respect your thoughts on this. Usually your posts are very valuable, I just happen to disagree with this one...

Stephan

12-19-2001, 01:56 AM
Feel free to disagree and voice your opinion. The point of these forums is to get discussion.

As far as having multiple callers with your baby flush cards I understand the risk that there is a bigger flush out there. With 83s on a flush draw I will rarely call a turn bet so I usually muck on the turn. So therefore I would rather have a bigger payoff to justify my flop call.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com