PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Pot Limit - Bet the Turn?

12-16-2001, 05:49 PM
1/2 Pot Limit

AKo Cutoff -1.

I raise $7

Button, sb, BB all call.

$31 in the Pot

Flop 10,10,K

Checked to me

I raise $31 and only BB Calls

$92 in the Pot.

Turn is a Blank.

He checks and I check. I am thinking that I can't win anything here and that there is a very low chance of him outdrawing me.

However. There is a chance that the J,Q,A helps him if I check. Also there is only a very small chance that he has a 10. So I am almost certainly ahead.

Do I bet the pot on the turn?

River is a 10 and he leads out for $30. I know know he has a K and I kick myself and call for the split.

12-16-2001, 06:30 PM
You bet the pot on the turn for a couple reasons.

1) There's a good chance you're leading.

2) If he has a 10, he probably will raise you on the turn, and you can release.

3) Your hand isn't that powerful that you can avoid giving a free card -- although he probably doesn't have a gutshot (who draws to a gutshot with a pair already on board?), he could also have JJ QQ KK, 99, 88, 77, 66, 55, 44, 33, 22, and nail you.

4) If he calls your bet on the turn, you can easily check the river, and possibly win a massive pot.

5) If you check the turn behind him, he could easily bet the pot on the river as a "bluff" but you would most likely not want to call, unless you had a read on him.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I'd say definitely bet the pot.

Max

12-16-2001, 10:57 PM
In a spot like this I would normally bet. The time to check is if the oppenent is one who likes to check-raise with trips.

12-16-2001, 11:48 PM
So you're saying if you're playing an opponent who is capable of check-raising trips, and the player bets out on the river after you checked behind him on the turn, you should fold? That opens you up to anyone to bet their AK or KQ, or a myriad of draws that missed, since you have just shown extraordinary weakness and will often (and should) lay it down for $92 more. You bet the turn, and if they raise you, THEN you can safely fold.