PDA

View Full Version : Sit and Go?

12-16-2001, 05:21 AM
I've been entering the $20+$2 Sit-and-go tournaments at UB. Well, two so far. Due to my inexperience I'm a massive underdog, so while I'm trying to win of course, I don't have a positive expectation of doing so for awhile.

My question: Is this at all useful in learning to play NL cash games. The sit-and-go is very much like a super satellite, maybe more conducive to learning NL tournament play. Or would I be better off just sitting at the low limit NL tables at UB?

Thanks, Paul

12-16-2001, 08:25 AM
At least my play is very different in the Sit and Go compared to the cashgames. I play much more aggressively preflop. Of course the stacks are smaller compared to the blinds which is an important factor. In a tournament I might push all in with a hand as weak as AT in certain spots. A hand I normally wouldn't touch in the cashgames.

So I think your right when you say that Sit and Go is good tournament practice. If you want cashgame practice, just play the microblind games. Even if the opposition is very weak at times you'll at least get a basic feel for the game.

Sincerely, Andreas

12-17-2001, 06:46 AM
You'd be better off sitting at the low blind no-limit tables, if you want to learn to play cash games. In those tourneys your 22 bucks may only last a few minutes - expensive lesson.

I am new to no-limit, have played a fair few hours now at the UB low blind NL tables, and am only fractionally down for the valuable learning experience.

12-17-2001, 03:06 PM
Sit-and-go play somewhat similar to quick one table satelites. They won't help you much for live NL play. In tournies/satelites you can't buy-in for more chips. You need to be careful chasing draws and limping in since you will run out of chips. In these events I find myself raising with most of the hands I am playing.

In the .10-.25 NL although I still raise with a lot of hands, you can also limp with a wide variety of hands since the implied odds of hitting your hand makes it a longterm win.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com