PDA

View Full Version : A hand against a 2+2er

SossMan
10-05-2004, 06:45 PM
A very good 2+2er Pooh-Bah and I played in a small home game Friday night. We played (badly with mixed results) in a 3-6 game from 7-11, and then they have a 24 person NL tourney to cap off the night.

First, a highlight from the 3-6 game....

2+2er is a few Sierra Nevada's in when Very Fishy but nice-enough 50-something grandma-slot-machine-in-Reno type overhears someone at the other table drop an F-bomb She says, jokingly, "my virgin ears!"...without a moment's hesitation 2+2er spits out this gem: "Her only virgin orfice"...

nice.

Ok, here's the hand in question.

Structure is top 4 get paid (40/30/20/10), $40 buy in, no rebuys, no limit. Starting stack is t2,000. Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 12 min.
Kinda fast structure, but not horrible given that were starting at 11 and most have a decent drive home.

I'll try to get these details right. 2+2er and I, despite starting at the same table, have been staying away from each other (gee, wonder why).

I had built a decent stack up to about t7500 w/ blinds of 150/300. There were 11 players left at this point. 2+2er had about 6000 to start the hand.

We were 5 handed.
UTG folds, 2+2er makes it 1100 from the CO, button folds, sb folds, I contemplate in the BB. I have black 55 and about 7500 after posting my blind. It's 800 more to call.

Here's the problem. I know that he is probably applying the gap concept here. But he knows that I know that. He knows that I'm liable to liberally defend my blind 5 handed. (by defend, I mean push back) He especially knows that I would be more inclined to put him to a decision for all his chips moreso than someone else in this spot.
I was confused as to what to do, so I called.

Flop brought A K 7 with two spades.
I checked, and he thought and checked behind.

Turn was an offsuit 9 and I pushed.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

He layed down like Paris Hilton on prom night.

JARID
10-05-2004, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2+2er is a few Sierra Nevada's in when Very Fishy but nice-enough 50-something grandma-slot-machine-in-Reno type overhears someone at the other table drop an F-bomb She says, jokingly, "my virgin ears!"...without a moment's hesitation 2+2er spits out this gem: "Her only virgin orfice"...

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, did she hear?

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds start at 25/50 and go up every 12 min.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeesh, but I guess its not that bad starting with 2k in chips.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's the problem. I know that he is probably applying the gap concept here. But he knows that I know that. He knows that I'm liable to liberally defend my blind 5 handed. (by defend, I mean push back) He especially knows that I would be more inclined to put him to a decision for all his chips moreso than someone else in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

He knew that you that you knew he would utilize the gap, but he also knows you know that he knows you will push back, thus he might have surmised you would assume he would only raise with premium type holdings. Knowing this, he might have taken a shot with any piece of trash? Or is that too many levels of thinking this late and this many beers deep? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like the call and I would fire out on a low card flop putting him on overs.
On the turn, if this home game is anything like the typical home games I play in, then I think putting these chips on the line against a guy who is capable of trapping is not needed.
In a vacum though, if you really put him on no A, then its a good move to take down the pot and increase your stack by over 50% if my numbers are right.

-Jarid

SossMan
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He knew that you that you knew he would utilize the gap, but he also knows you know that he knows you will push back, thus he might have surmised you would assume he would only raise with premium type holdings. Knowing this, he might have taken a shot with any piece of trash? Or is that too many levels of thinking this late and this many beers deep?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither of us were that many beers deep at this point, we were both playing well. (except for my all in call w/ QT, but that's another story....I had a read, I tell you!!)

I wasn't really sure how many levels I should have gone...I thought that he didn't have to have a premium hand, but he would have played AA the same way, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, if this home game is anything like the typical home games I play in, then I think putting these chips on the line against a guy who is capable of trapping is not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think he would check anything but AA/KK or maybe AK in that spot. There was a gutshot and a flush draw on the flop and the pot was relatively large. When he checked the flop, I put him on a monster, a bigger underpair than mine, or two undercards. Given the frequency of each of those combonations, I pushed.

The other thing in play there is that I'm going to be checking to him on most flops that contain an Ace. I easily could have had AQ or AJ there and was checking to see what he did. Or I could have flopped a set and was checking to try and check raise him. He knows I'm as capable of trapping him as he is of trapping me.

turns out he had Q9 and folded like a little girl when he "got there" on the turn.
-SossMan

JARID
10-06-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
turns out he had Q9 and folded like a little girl when he "got there" on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmph....what a wuss. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I like your rational and your right, the pot was relatively big, so I suppose it was worth a shot.

-Jarid