PDA

View Full Version : Understanding VP$IP

elindauer
10-05-2004, 06:29 PM
It turns out I've developed a decent pokertracker database, and I expect this trend to continue. I've decided to really start mining this data in an attempt to help me through that first half hour or so with "new" players, hopefully bolstering my win rate a bit.

It seems to me that the first step is to understand more completely the types of starting hands various VPIPs translate into. I'm looking for suggestions for the "best" 10%, 15%, 20%, etc up to about 50% of hands.

I am able to do the math myself, but thought a) someone who has done this already may be kind enough to share, and b) this is something useful for everyone anyways, so it's worth a post.

Thanks,
Eric

bisonbison
10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Eric. It's pretty simple:

Someone with VP$IP of 14-20 at most party games is playing the standard SS range of hands.

Someone with VP$IP < 30 is playing those same hands with much less regard for position and probably adding some unsuited broadways, Kxs and Axo.

Someone with VP$IP of around 50 is playing probably any 2 suited, any 2 broadways, any connectors and so on, often for any number of bets.